Mechanical system with simlar phyysics of neutrion flavor mixing.

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanical system that has similarities to the physics of neutrino flavor mixing. The system involves pulling one mass down while holding the rest at their rest positions, then releasing them. The system can be represented by a Lagrangian with too much freedom, and the goal is to reproduce a graph similar to an electron oscillation graph.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Mechanical system with similar physics of neutrino flavor mixing. Pull one mass down while holding the others at their rest positions. Now let them all go.

See system here (don't know how to add images):

https://picasaweb.google.com/andyeverett57/August282011

Sorry for the spelling in the title, could not edit or cancel, the title should read:

Mechanical system with similar physics of neutrino flavor mixing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think k_12, k_23, and k_31 can be the same and we have physics more similar to flavor mixing physics?

Thanks for any help!

I think the system in my drawing need to be tweaked? Maybe the masses are the same but the springs k need to change?

Last edited:
So let's make the system of three coupled harmonic oscillators as general as possible, its Lagrangian should be:

L = {[m_i*v_i^2/2 - k_i*x_i^2/2]i=1,2,3} -{[k_ij*(x_i-x_j)^2/2]i,j=12,23,31}

the kinetic energy of the masses minus the energy in the springs.

This Lagrangian has too much freedom, the masses and 6 spring constants can be different. We need to reduce this freedom?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Looks like the drawing of my system was set not to be viewed by others, think that is fixed now, sorry.

Related to Mechanical system with simlar phyysics of neutrion flavor mixing.

1. What is a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing?

A mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing is a system that involves the mixing and transformation of different elements or components, similar to how neutrinos change between different flavors.

2. How does a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing work?

A mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing works by utilizing the principles of quantum mechanics and probability to describe the mixing and transformation of different components or elements.

3. What are some real-life applications of a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing?

Some real-life applications of a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing include fluid mixing in industrial processes, color mixing in printing and painting, and sound mixing in music production.

4. Are there any challenges in studying and understanding a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing?

Yes, there are challenges in studying and understanding a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing, as it involves complex mathematical equations and concepts from quantum mechanics which can be difficult to grasp.

5. How is a mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing relevant to other areas of science?

A mechanical system with similar physics to neutrino flavor mixing is relevant to other areas of science, such as particle physics, fluid dynamics, and material science, as it involves similar principles and concepts that can be applied to these fields.