Mechanics Book for self-teaching

In summary, the computer science major is taking eight hours of Chemistry, and eight hours of Physics (the rote learning in Biology was killing me).
unixunited
I'm a Computer Science major and need 16 hours of science, so I'm going to take 8 hours of Chemistry, and 8 hours of Physics (the rote learning in Biology was killing me).

The physics classes are Mechanics and Electricity (designed for engineering students). I have a high interest in Physics as I have been reading Stephen Hawking books, it is all quite fascinating.

Does anyone have any superb recommendations for a mechanics book to learn on my own before entering the class? I prefer to teach myself a subject first, books are the best way for me to learn.

I've looked at Goldstein's Classical Mechanics, it looks pretty good. Would it be a good choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldstein is an upper-undergraduate/first-year graduate level introduction to Classical Mechanics. If you have never done any kind of physics before, you are likely not going to learn much of anything from it.

"Classical Mechanics" by R.D.Gregory might be a good choice for you.

Most of the first-year physics courses for engineering students would use something like University Physics by Young and Freedman. You could also try An Intro to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow.

French, Newtonian Mechanics.

If this is going to be like freshman level mechanics, then I've always liked Serway and Jewett. Young and Feedman as someone else suggested is good too and of course Halliday and Resnick would work. All three basically teach the same stuff the same way, it just comes down to whose writing you like best.

For a junior level course, I would definitely go with Taylor, your best best for learning theoretical mechanics on your own. Thornton and Marion (the other junior level standard) is good as a reference, definitely not good as a self-learning book.

Thanks all for the good advice.

Daverz said:
French, Newtonian Mechanics.
I will definitely be getting this one, I actually stumbled across it while looking at some of the other suggestions and it seems extremely interesting and looks to be a good source for self-teaching. I may also end up with another one of the suggested texts, thanks again.

FAQ: Mechanics Book for self-teaching

1. What is the purpose of a Mechanics Book for self-teaching?

A Mechanics Book for self-teaching is designed to help individuals learn the principles and concepts of mechanics on their own. It provides a comprehensive guide to understand the fundamentals of mechanics and how they apply to real-world situations.

2. Who can benefit from using a Mechanics Book for self-teaching?

Anyone who is interested in learning mechanics can benefit from using a Mechanics Book for self-teaching. It can be useful for students studying the subject in school or college, professionals looking to refresh their knowledge, or individuals who want to learn mechanics for personal interest.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to use a Mechanics Book for self-teaching?

No, a Mechanics Book for self-teaching is designed for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge or experience in mechanics. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it accessible to anyone interested in learning mechanics.

4. Are there any interactive elements in a Mechanics Book for self-teaching?

Many Mechanics Books for self-teaching include interactive elements, such as practice problems, simulations, and activities, to help readers apply the concepts they have learned. These interactive elements can enhance the learning experience and make it more engaging and effective.

5. Can a Mechanics Book for self-teaching replace a traditional classroom course?

A Mechanics Book for self-teaching can be a useful supplement to a traditional classroom course, but it cannot replace the experience and guidance of a qualified instructor. It is important to seek additional resources and support when needed to fully grasp the concepts and principles of mechanics.