MECHANICS: Forklift Problem (Frames and Machines)

In summary, the question asks for the forces experienced by the pins on member CDE when an 8-kN weight is placed on the fork. The joints can be modeled as pins and both members AB and DF are two-force members. Member AB will have two forces, one pointing up and one pointing down, while member BC is not a two-force member and its direction can be determined using Newton's Third Law.
JohanM

Homework Statement

Assume that the pin joints at A,E, and F, are attached to the rest of the truck body, which is not shown. If a 8-kN weight is concentrated on the fork as shown, find the forces that the pins on member CDE experience. All joints can be modeled as pins.
hx9i84.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is only about the FBDs that I have so far. I see that both members AB and DF are two-force members, meaning the forces in them have the same magnitude, same line of action, and opposite direction. So member AB should have two forces, one pointing up and one pointing down. I just don't see how FBC comes into the picture, since it has both X- and Y-components... Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohanM said:

Homework Statement

Assume that the pin joints at A,E, and F, are attached to the rest of the truck body, which is not shown. If a 8-kN weight is concentrated on the fork as shown, find the forces that the pins on member CDE experience. All joints can be modeled as pins.
hx9i84.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is only about the FBDs that I have so far. I see that both members AB and DF are two-force members, meaning the forces in them have the same magnitude, same line of action, and opposite direction.
Nice observation!
So member AB should have two forces, one pointing up and one pointing down.
yes, you are quite correct; A_x = B_x = 0.
I just don't see how FBC comes into the picture, since it has both X- and Y-components...
Now why do you say that? Member BC__ is not a 2 force member. Newton 3 will give you the direction of FBC. Trust your instincts.

Related to MECHANICS: Forklift Problem (Frames and Machines)

1. What is the purpose of analyzing the forklift problem in terms of frames and machines?

The purpose of analyzing the forklift problem in terms of frames and machines is to understand the forces and motions at play in the system. This helps in identifying the potential weaknesses or design flaws in the forklift and finding ways to improve its performance.

2. How do frames and machines relate to the forklift problem?

Frames and machines are used to represent the different components and forces in the forklift problem. Frames are used to show the geometry and orientation of the forklift, while machines are used to represent the mechanical components and forces involved in its movement.

3. What are the main forces and motions involved in the forklift problem?

The main forces involved in the forklift problem include the weight of the forklift, the weight of the load being lifted, and any external forces such as friction or wind resistance. The main motions involved are the lifting and lowering of the forklift's mast, and the forward and backward movement of the forklift itself.

4. How can frames and machines analysis help in solving the forklift problem?

By using frames and machines analysis, we can identify the different forces and motions at play in the forklift problem. This allows us to calculate the forces acting on each component and determine the overall stability and efficiency of the forklift. We can also use this analysis to make design improvements that can help optimize the forklift's performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using frames and machines analysis for the forklift problem?

While frames and machines analysis can provide valuable insights into the forklift problem, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the forklift is operating in a static environment and does not take into account dynamic factors such as operator skill or changing loads. It is also important to consider other factors such as ergonomics and safety when solving the forklift problem, which may not be fully captured by frames and machines analysis alone.