Mechanics Problem: Finding the speed at the center of a ring

In summary, the problem involves a homogeneous ring on two parallel rails, one moving with constant speed and the other at rest. The angular distance between the contact points and the center of the ring are given as 2α and 2β respectively. Using a torque balance and considering rotation around a different axis, the speed of the center of the ring can be found given that α << 1 and β = π/3.
morrisj753

Homework Statement

A homogeneous ring lays horizontally on two identical parallel rails. The first rail moves parallel to itself, with a constant speed v; the second rail is at rest. The angular distance between the ring-rail contact points, as seen from the center of the ring, is 2α for the first rail, and 2β for the second rail, see figure. Assuming that α << 1 and β = π/3, find the speed of the center of the ring.
2jer0ci.jpg

(and also, the first rail intersects the ring at two points)

Homework Equations

τ (torque) = F x r

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't quite sure where to start but I thought I might be able to use a torque balance to find the frictional forces, though I'm not sure where to go from there, or whether I am actually taking the correct approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't quite sure where to start but I thought I might be able to use a torque balance to find the frictional forces
That looks like a good idea.
Afterwards, you can consider rotation around a different axis to get the speed (and angular velocity) of the ring.

Related to Mechanics Problem: Finding the speed at the center of a ring

1. What is the formula for finding the speed at the center of a ring?

The formula for finding the speed at the center of a ring is v = ωr, where v is the speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the ring.

2. How do you calculate the angular velocity of a rotating ring?

The angular velocity of a rotating ring can be calculated using the formula ω = θ/t, where ω is the angular velocity, θ is the angle through which the ring has rotated, and t is the time taken for the rotation.

3. What is the difference between linear speed and angular speed?

Linear speed is the distance traveled per unit time in a straight line, while angular speed is the angle rotated per unit time. They are related by the formula v = ωr, where v is linear speed, ω is angular speed, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

4. Can the speed at the center of a ring be negative?

No, the speed at the center of a ring cannot be negative. This is because the direction of motion at the center of a ring is always changing, so the speed is always positive.

5. What factors affect the speed at the center of a ring?

The speed at the center of a ring is affected by the angular velocity, radius of the ring, and any external forces acting on the ring, such as friction or gravity.