Mechanics & Properties Of Matter

In summary: I asked you how to do it with the Friction and you just gave me F = maNo, I gave you;{\color{red}\sum}\vec{F} = m\vec{a}The important bit is the sum, this means the vector sum of all the forces acting on the caravan (the resultant force) is equal to the product of the mass and acceleration.
glasgowm
I just really don't understand the wording of this question.

A car of mass 1200kg tows a caravan of mass 1000kg. The frictional force on the car and caravan is 200N and 500N respectively, The Car accelerates at 2 ms^-2

b) What force does the tow bar exert on the caravan?

Does it want me to find the tension of the bar?

M x A = T - Friction
4312N = T - 700N
T = 3612N ?

Physics news on Phys.org
glasgowm said:
I just really don't understand the wording of this question.

A car of mass 1200kg tows a caravan of mass 1000kg. The frictional force on the car and caravan is 200N and 500N respectively, The Car accelerates at 2 ms^-2

b) What force does the tow bar exert on the caravan?

Does it want me to find the tension of the bar?

M x A = T - Friction
4312N = T - 700N
T = 3612N ?
No, it wants you to find the force required to accelerate the caravan at 2m.s-2.

Last edited:
That didnt really help me :-/

The caravan is already accelerating at 2m.s-2, isn't it?

glasgowm said:
That didnt really help me :-/

The caravan is already accelerating at 2m.s-2, isn't it?
Yes it is accelerating, but what causes acceleration?

whats the formula that's like F = ma but with friction in it?

glasgowm said:
whats the formula that's like F = ma but with friction in it?
[tex]\sum \vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex]

In words, the vector sum of the forces is equal to the acceleration. You need to sum all the forces acting on the caravan to find the acceleration.

So...

A = f/m
2 = f/1000
F = 2000N ?

glasgowm said:
So...

A = f/m
2 = f/1000
F = 2000N ?
You are forgetting the frictional force.

Hootenanny said:
You are forgetting the frictional force.
I asked you how to do it with the Friction and you just gave me F = ma

is it

2000N - the friction = 1500N ?

glasgowm said:
I asked you how to do it with the Friction and you just gave me F = ma
No, I gave you;

[tex]{\color{red}\sum}\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex]

The important bit is the sum, this means the vector sum of all the forces acting on the caravan (the resultant force) is equal to the product of the mass and acceleration.
glasgowm said:
is it

2000N - the friction = 1500N ?
Not quite. I'll walk you through it.

(1) Sum the forces
Taking the frictional force to be negative the sum of the forces is as follows (let FA be the force applied on the caravan by the tow bar)

[tex]\sum\vec{F} = F_{A} - 500[/tex]

(2) Apply Newton's Second Law

[tex]\sum\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex]

Now, we have already summed the forces above, we also know the mass of the caravan (1000kg) and the acceleration (2 m.s-1); substituting those values in gives;

[tex]F_{A} - 500 = 1000 \times 2[/tex]

[tex]F_{A} - 500 = 2000[/tex]

Can you know finish of the question? Do you follow my working? Intuitively you should know if your answer makes sense. If there was no friction would it take a larger or smaller force to accelerate the caravan at the same rate?

Last edited:

FAQ: Mechanics & Properties Of Matter

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and its causes and effects on objects.

2. What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on the laws of motion and gravity as described by Isaac Newton, while quantum mechanics is a more recent theory that explains the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

3. What are the fundamental properties of matter?

The fundamental properties of matter are mass, volume, and density. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, volume is the amount of space an object occupies, and density is the mass per unit volume of a substance.

4. How does temperature affect the properties of matter?

Temperature affects the properties of matter by changing the kinetic energy of the particles within a substance. As temperature increases, the particles move faster and the substance expands. As temperature decreases, the particles move slower and the substance contracts.

5. What is the difference between solids, liquids, and gases?

Solids have a fixed shape and volume, liquids have a fixed volume but take the shape of their container, and gases have neither a fixed shape nor volume. This is due to the arrangement and movement of particles in each state of matter.