Mechanics Pulley Platform Problem

In summary: Hope, you enjoyed it!In summary, the problem involves two construction workers of mass m using pulleys to raise themselves on a platform with a mass of 1.2m. They pull with a force of f on the ropes and the question is to find the acceleration a of the workers. To solve the problem, the free body diagrams of each individual and the platform are considered, with the net forces being equal to the mass times the acceleration. By considering the normal forces and the tension forces, the equations for each individual and the platform can be found and solved to obtain the acceleration a.
RioAlvarado

Homework Statement

Two construction workers each of mass m raise themselves on a hanging platform using pulleys as shown above. If the platform has a mass of 1.2⋅m, the initial distance between the pulleys and the platform is d, and the workers each pull with a force f on the ropes, what is the acceleration a of the workers? Assume the pulleys and ropes are massless.[/B]

Homework Equations

Tension = m(a + g) (possibly).
F = ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

To be wholly honest I have next to no idea how to proceed. My only real thought was to use F = ma. Thinking first that I'd need my total mass, I added (m + m + 1.2m) = 3.2m total (one mass for each worker plus the platform). Next I tried to consider the force, thinking we have two workers each exerting a tension force f, thus 2f being the total force upwards, then subtracting out the downward forces (namely gravity) to achieve (2f - 3.2mg). Plugging into F = ma I got (2f - 3.2mg) = a(3.2m) => a = (2f - 3.2mg)/(3.2m) which is marked incorrect. At this point I have hit a wall. My thanks for any help. (Attached is the image accompanying the problem). [/B]

Attachments

• Men_and_pulleys.png
    Men_and_pulleys.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Likes arpon
Physics news on Phys.org
RioAlvarado said:
(2f - 3.4mg)
Why 3.4mg ?

Sorry, that was a typo which persisted through my idiocy. I corrected it.

Likes arpon
I suggest you to think about the free body diagram.
At first, think about the free body diagram of one of the men.
He is exerting force f each on the rope, and so according to Newton's third law, the rope is also exerting force f (upward) on him. Let's assume, he is exerting a force R on the platform, and the platform is exerting the same force R on him in the upward direction. The other force on him is gravitational force which is equal to mg. So the net force on him is, ##F_{net} = R + f - mg ##; Again, ##F_{net} = ma##. So ## R + f - mg = ma##
In this same way, you may find out, equations for the other man and the platform, and solving these equations, you may find out accelaration.

Wouldn't the force R simply be equal the normal force the man is exerting on the platform and in turn then be equal to ##mg##, giving ##f = ma## out again since R would cancel with ##mg##.

RioAlvarado said:
Wouldn't the force R simply be equal the normal force the man is exerting on the platform and in turn then be equal to ##mg##, giving ##f = ma## out again since R would cancel with ##mg##.
No. Suppose, you hang a ball with a rope. The rope is straight. Then you just touch the ball on a weighing machine keeping the rope straight. Will there be any weight found on the machine?
upload_2015-1-24_10-42-47.png

Another example. Suppose, a heavy stone hangs from a crane. And you touch your hand under the stone. Will you feel any force on your hand?
upload_2015-1-24_10-53-5.png

Alright, I think I understand what you mean.So would the equation for the other man just be ##R+f−mg=ma## since he is identical to the first man and the equation for platform would be ##2f -1.2mg = ma## Two f for the tensions forces acting on the block, minus the downward component of force?

I'll work on it more tomorrow as well, if I can't reply any more tonight.

RioAlvarado said:
the equation for platform would be 2f−1.2mg=ma2f -1.2mg = ma
You are missing the normal forces which are exerted on the platform by the men, and look, the mass of the platform is not m. When you are calculating with the forces on the platform, the net force equals to the mass of 'the platform' times the accelaration of 'the platform'.

So it would then be: ##2f - 1.2mg - 2R = 1.2mg## (because since before you defined the force R to be the force the platform exerts on the men upwards, the normal force for the platform by the men should be twice the negative of R).

RioAlvarado said:
: 2f−1.2mg−2R=1.2mg
"## = 1.2mg##" ? Probably, a typo.

Should have been ##=1.2ma## I think.

Likes arpon
My eternal thanks good sir or madame. Your advice was instrumental in my finding the solution.

Likes arpon
RioAlvarado said:
Should have been =1.2ma=1.2ma I think.
Exactly!
RioAlvarado said:
My eternal thanks good sir or madame. Your advice was instrumental in my finding the solution.
You're welcome. I also thank you for sharing this interesting problem.

Related to Mechanics Pulley Platform Problem

1. What is a mechanics pulley platform problem?

A mechanics pulley platform problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces and motion of a system of pulleys and platforms. It usually involves a combination of fixed and moveable pulleys, as well as a weight or object being lifted or lowered.

2. How do you approach solving a mechanics pulley platform problem?

To solve a mechanics pulley platform problem, you must first draw a diagram of the system and label all the forces acting on each pulley and platform. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of mechanical advantage to calculate the forces and motion of the system.

3. What is the principle of mechanical advantage?

The principle of mechanical advantage states that a system of pulleys can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by distributing the weight across multiple ropes and pulleys. The mechanical advantage is equal to the number of ropes or segments of rope supporting the object.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system, you count the number of ropes or segments of rope that support the weight being lifted. For example, a system with two ropes supporting the weight will have a mechanical advantage of 2.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a mechanics pulley platform problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a mechanics pulley platform problem include forgetting to account for the weight of the pulleys and ropes, not considering the direction of the forces, and not properly labeling the forces on the diagram. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all the forces and motions are accurately represented in the diagram.