Mechanics question on equation of continuity

Also you should not integrate both sides as you do (or at least it is very unclear what you are integrating there).In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylindrical rainwater collection tank with a small hole at the bottom. The goal is to derive expressions for the flow speed and volume flow rate of water flowing out of the hole. The equations used are dV = Av1dT + Bv2dT and h = vdT, and the attempt at a solution involves integrating both sides of the equation and solving for v2. However, there are concerns about the accuracy of the equations and the need to consider the direction of the flow.
emilypearson

Homework Statement

A large vertical cylindrical rainwater collection tank of cross sectional area A is filled to a
depth h. The top of the tank is open and in the centre of the bottom of the tank is a small hole
of cross sectional area B (B<<A). Derive expressions for (i) the flow speed and (ii) the volume
flow rate of the water flowing out of the small hole.

It is mainly part i) I am struggling with, as once I have an expression for the flow speed, the volume flow rate should be easy enough(I hope!)

Homework Equations

I have come up with

dV=Av1dT=Bv2dT
h=vdT

The Attempt at a Solution

Av1dT=Bv2dT
integrate both sides with respect to t
∫Av1dT=∫Bv2
if I leave t as a constant ...
Av1=Bv2
v2=Av1/B
However this doesn't seem right as there is no mention of a initial velocity in the question .. please give me some pointers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the relevant equations are correct? For one there is water coming frmo the top and flowing out at the bottom right so it might be a good idea to put a minus sign somewhere (although you could just put that in v). Also should it be dV= Av1dT + Bv2dT
So the change in volume is what flows in minus (or that is in the v2) what flows out through the bottom.

Related to Mechanics question on equation of continuity

1. What is the equation of continuity in mechanics?

The equation of continuity in mechanics is a fundamental principle that states that the flow rate of a fluid remains constant as it moves through a confined area. It is based on the principle of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. In simpler terms, the equation of continuity states that the amount of fluid flowing into a system must be equal to the amount flowing out.

2. How is the equation of continuity applied in real-world situations?

The equation of continuity is used in various real-world situations, such as in the design of pipes and pumps for fluid transportation, in the study of blood flow in the human body, and in the analysis of air flow in ventilation systems. It is also used in meteorology to understand the movement of air masses and in oceanography to study the flow of ocean currents.

3. What are the assumptions made in the equation of continuity?

The equation of continuity is based on two main assumptions: the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady. Incompressible fluids do not change volume when subjected to pressure, and steady flow means that the velocity of the fluid does not change over time. These assumptions allow for a simplified analysis of fluid flow.

4. How is the equation of continuity related to Bernoulli's principle?

The equation of continuity is closely related to Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. The equation of continuity can be used to derive Bernoulli's principle, as it shows that an increase in velocity of a fluid in a confined area must result in a decrease in pressure in order to maintain constant flow rate.

5. How does the equation of continuity apply to non-ideal fluids?

The equation of continuity can still be applied to non-ideal fluids, such as gases, as long as the assumptions of incompressibility and steady flow are still valid. However, in cases where these assumptions do not hold, more complex equations must be used to accurately analyze the flow of fluids.