Mechanics statics problem- help

In summary: However, there's still something wrong …The friction force at A (in the direction of motion) is uN_a, not N_a.This makes quite a big difference! :eek:When you finally solve, you'll see that W cancels out, and you don't get a quadratic.In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a mechanics statics problem involving a log and a tractor. The person was trying to find the maximum weight that could be pushed up, but was getting different values using the moment equation about point A and considering the friction force at point A. The conversation also discussed the relevance of the maximum engine force and the assumption about the direction of friction forces. Finally, it was determined that the friction
kyva1929
Mechanics statics problem-- help

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8831/45170185.jpg

I've tried to solve for the maximum weight using moment equation about point A, and it gives way too large value of W as compared to the answer 836lb, so I assume the slipping rather than tipping would occur. But then there is no information about the force that can be developed by the engine. I'm completely lost.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kyva1929 said:
I've tried to solve for the maximum weight using moment equation about point A, and it gives way too large value of W as compared to the answer 836lb, so I assume the slipping rather than tipping would occur. But then there is no information about the force that can be developed by the engine. I'm completely lost.

Thank you!

Hi kyva1929! :smile:

Why are you taking moments about A (the rear wheels)?

You need to take the friction force at A into account.

The maximum engine force is irrelevant … once the rear wheels slip, any extra engine force makes no difference.

Find the normal force at A, and the friction force, for a particular weight W of the log.​

tiny-tim said:

Why are you taking moments about A (the rear wheels)?

You need to take the friction force at A into account.

The maximum engine force is irrelevant … once the rear wheels slip, any extra engine force makes no difference.

Find the normal force at A, and the friction force, for a particular weight W of the log.​

I'm able to solve for the correct maximum weight using the following equation:

Force required to move the log: W*cos(10)*0.5 + W*sin(10)
taking moment about point B: -N_a*10 + 0.666W + 8000*cos(10)*(3) + 8000*sin(10)*2.5=0
summation of force about the axis parallel to the inclined: W*cos(10)*0.5 + W*sin(10)+8000*sin(10)= N_a * 0.7

The assumption in the above equation was that the friction points downward along the inclined on the log, and the friction points upward along the inclined at point A. But I am not entirely comfortable with this assumption, can you explain why it would work? (I was tempted to make this assumption, but am not comfortable with it even though I got the answer correct.)

Thank you so much!

kyva1929 said:
summation of force about the axis parallel to the inclined: W*cos(10)*0.5 + W*sin(10)+8000*sin(10)= N_a * 0.7

Yes, except one of the signs is wrong (see below).

(and "about" means rotation … say "along" or "parallel to" or "in the direction …")
taking moment about point B: -N_a*10 + 0.666W + 8000*cos(10)*(3) + 8000*sin(10)*2.5=0

Where does 0.666W come from? :confused:
Force required to move the log: W*cos(10)*0.5 + W*sin(10)

What is this equation for? :confused:
The assumption in the above equation was that the friction points downward along the inclined on the log, and the friction points upward along the inclined at point A. But I am not entirely comfortable with this assumption, can you explain why it would work? (I was tempted to make this assumption, but am not comfortable with it even though I got the answer correct.)

Friction always opposes motion. Both friction forces will be in the same direction.

Start again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kyva1929! :smile:Yes, except one of the signs is wrong (see below).

(and "about" means rotation … say "along" or "parallel to" or "in the direction …")Where does 0.666W come from? :confused:What is this equation for? :confused:Friction always opposes motion. Both friction forces will be in the same direction.

Start again! :smile:

That 0.666W came from (0.5 cos(10) + sin(10)), the reaction force from log, and I forgot to multiply it by 1.25ft. The equations listed was based on the FBD of only the tractor.

The direction of friction is indeed confusing to me in this problem. When the problem ask to find out the maximum weight that can be pushed up, I assume the frictional force acting on the log points downward along the inclined. And to consider the frictional force acting on the rear wheels, we are considering the extreme case when the rear wheels are just about to slip, the frictional force should point upward along the inclined, or else there will be no force supporting the tractor; all forces acting on the tractor points downward along the inclined.

Using the equations I listed before (0.666*1.25 W instead of 0.666W), it gives me the answer given by the book. So was that the error of the book or I just arrive at the correct answer by accident?

Thank you so much

oops!

hmm, I think I've been misinterpreting the question :redface:

the force isn't an external force, it's coming from the tractor engine trying to turn the back wheel, isn't it? :rolleyes:

so what I said was wrong …
tiny-tim said:
Friction always opposes motion. Both friction forces will be in the same direction.

Friction does oppose motion, but of course the log is moving up, while the engine is trying to move the rear wheel (well, the bit in contact with the road) down

so you were right, the friction forces are in opposite directions! :redface:
kyva1929 said:
That 0.666W came from (0.5 cos(10) + sin(10)), the reaction force from log, and I forgot to multiply it by 1.25ft. The equations listed was based on the FBD of only the tractor.

Yes, that seems ok now! :smile:

Related to Mechanics statics problem- help

What is mechanics statics?

Mechanics statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It focuses on the analysis of forces acting on a stationary object and the equilibrium conditions.

What are some common types of mechanics statics problems?

Some common types of mechanics statics problems include finding the forces acting on an object, determining the center of gravity of an object, analyzing the stability of structures, and solving pulley and lever problems.

What are the key principles of mechanics statics?

The key principles of mechanics statics include the Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force, and the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be zero for it to be in equilibrium.

What are the steps to solving a mechanics statics problem?

The steps to solving a mechanics statics problem include drawing a free-body diagram, identifying all the forces acting on the object, applying the equations of motion to determine unknown forces, and checking for equilibrium by making sure the sum of all forces is zero.

What are some helpful tips for solving mechanics statics problems?

Some helpful tips for solving mechanics statics problems include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using the correct units for all quantities, double-checking all calculations, and using the correct sign convention for forces (positive for forces acting in the same direction and negative for forces acting in opposite directions).