Mechanics torsion analysis help

In summary: So in summary, to design a 2m long shaft to transmit a torque of 1000Nm, either a solid circular bar or a circular tube can be used. The outer diameter of the tube can be found by using the formula T/J = \tau /r and the given shear stress of 320Mpa. When the thickness of the tube is specified as one-eighth of the outer diameter, the formula for J becomes pi(D^4 - 0.75^4 D^4) / 32. Solving for D, we get 28mm as the required outer diameter.
bigbang42

Homework Statement

the statement:
You are taked to design a 2m long shaft which is to be manufactured either as a solid circular bar or a circular tube. the shaft is required to transmit a torque of 100Nm without exceeding the alloqable strength of material.

Find the required outer diameter of the tube if the thickness of the tube is specified as one-eigth of the outer diameter?

shear stress = 320Mpa

Homework Equations

T/J = [itex]\tau[/itex] /r

J= [pi(D^4 - d^4)] / 32

The Attempt at a Solution

thickness is 1/8
1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4

J= pi( D^4 - 0.75^4 D^4) / 32

work it out in sections
0.75^4 = 81/256 >>> 1 - 81/256 = 175/256 >>> 175/256 x pi = 2.14 >> 2.14 / 32 = 0.067D^4

then using the formula T/J = t/r

1000/0.067D^4 = 320x10^6 / D/2

get D on one side i get

1000 / 2 x 320 x 10^6 = 0.067D^4 / D

worked all that out then cube root it to get 0.028 which i then x1000 to get 28mm

I feel I'm on the right path ( i hope) but the whole 1/8 of the diameter has confused me and I'm wondering whether I've done that right. finding the "J" has to be my main concern i feel I've got the method right for finding D later on. If anyone can help my go through it and check everything is correct or if its wrong, advice on how to correct it would be fantastic.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you got it all correct, good step by step work. I assume the torque is 1000 Nm and not 100 Nm as originally stated.

Related to Mechanics torsion analysis help

1. What is torsion analysis?

Torsion analysis is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and deformations in structures subjected to twisting or torque.

2. What is the purpose of torsion analysis?

The purpose of torsion analysis is to determine the maximum stress, strain, and deformation in a structure caused by torsional forces, in order to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the design.

3. What factors affect torsion analysis?

The main factors that affect torsion analysis include the geometry, material properties, and loading conditions of the structure. These factors can significantly impact the distribution of stresses and deformations in the structure.

4. How is torsion analysis performed?

Torsion analysis is typically performed using mathematical models and equations, such as the torsion formula and the Mohr's circle method. These methods allow for the calculation of stress and strain distributions in a structure under torsional loading.

5. What are the applications of torsion analysis?

Torsion analysis has various applications in engineering, including the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines, as well as in the design of structural elements like shafts, beams, and bridges.