Mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe?

In summary, the particle-antiparticle pair that comes into existence from the vacuum will annihilate each other, but if space is expanding fast enough, the pair will not annihilate and will continue to exist as "real" matter.
johne1618
Hi,

I wonder what people think of the following mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe.

Imagine a particle-antiparticle pair coming into existence from the vacuum.

As I understand it, they will annihilate each other in the time that a light signal takes to travel from one particle to the other.

But what happens if space is expanding fast enough so that no light signal can ever travel the (proper) distance between them?

Would the particle pair then fail to annihilate and therefore continue to exist as "real" matter?

John

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
As far as I understand the processes involved (which is mostly at the conceptual level); yes, (certain types of) the virtual particles would become real. However, they become real at the expense of the energy of whatever is causing the expansion. For every process of which I am aware, this means that particle production slows the rate of expansion. Of course, only particle anti-particle pairs that respect all the relevant conservation laws, etc. can actually be formed (e.g., the total final momentum of the field causing the expansion and that of the pair produced must equal the total momentum initially in the field). For more information (and math) see arXiv: Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime.

IsometricPion said:
For every process of which I am aware, this means that particle production slows the rate of expansion.

Perhaps the gravitational attraction of the continuously created particles balances the gravitational repulsion of the dark energy.

Last edited:
I am not certain of what types of particles could interact with dark energy and thus be created by it. However, conservation of mass-energy and the fact that it is mass-energy that causes gravitation implies that the gravitational influence of the field at the point/small region where the particle is produced prior to its creation is the same as the gravitational influcence of the particle plus any remaining field mass-energy immediately after the particle is created. If dark energy is due to a cosmological constant-like phenomenon, I would think that the expansion due to it would always be too slow to produce enough particles (assuming a reasonable equation of state) to significantly alter the expansion.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I find your proposed mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe to be an interesting idea. However, I would like to point out that there are currently several theories and hypotheses regarding the origin of matter in the Universe, and the exact mechanism is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

Your suggestion of particle-antiparticle pairs coming into existence from the vacuum is in line with the concept of quantum fluctuations, which proposes that particles and antiparticles can spontaneously appear and disappear in the vacuum. However, the duration of their existence is extremely short, and they quickly annihilate each other. This is due to the fact that the energy required for their creation is borrowed from the vacuum, and it must be returned within a very short time frame.

In your scenario, where space is expanding at a rate faster than the speed of light, it is possible that the particle-antiparticle pair may not have enough time to annihilate each other before being separated. This could potentially result in the creation of "real" matter. However, there are several factors that need to be considered, such as the energy required for the creation of the particles and the expansion rate of the Universe.

Furthermore, the concept of space expanding faster than the speed of light is still a subject of debate and has not been conclusively proven. Additionally, the behavior of particles and antiparticles in such extreme conditions is still not fully understood.

In conclusion, your proposed mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe is an interesting idea, but it requires further research and analysis to determine its feasibility and implications. I look forward to seeing more scientific studies and evidence on this topic in the future.

Related to Mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe?

1. How does the Big Bang theory explain the creation of matter in the Universe?

The Big Bang theory proposes that the Universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. As the singularity expanded, it cooled down, allowing energy to transform into matter. In the first few minutes of the Universe's existence, protons, neutrons, and electrons were created. These particles eventually combined to form the first atoms, which eventually led to the creation of all matter in the Universe.

2. What role does inflation play in the mechanism for matter creation?

Inflation is a period of rapid expansion that is believed to have occurred in the early Universe. During this time, the Universe underwent a period of exponential growth, causing tiny quantum fluctuations to be stretched out to a macroscopic scale. These fluctuations eventually became the seeds for the formation of galaxies and other large structures in the Universe, including the matter that makes up our world today.

3. Can matter be created in the Universe after the initial expansion?

According to the laws of physics, matter cannot be created or destroyed. However, some theories propose that matter can be created through processes such as pair production, where a particle and its antiparticle are created from energy. This process occurs naturally in particle colliders, and it is believed that it may also occur in certain extreme environments in the Universe, such as near black holes.

4. How does dark matter fit into the mechanism for matter creation in the expanding Universe?

Dark matter is a mysterious substance that makes up about 27% of the Universe. It does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes and other traditional means of observation. However, its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. While the exact mechanism for its creation is still unknown, it is believed that dark matter was created during the Big Bang and has been present in the Universe since its early stages.

5. What is the evidence that supports the mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe?

There is a vast amount of evidence that supports the Big Bang theory and the mechanism for matter creation in an expanding Universe. This includes the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is considered the leftover heat from the Big Bang. The abundance of light elements in the Universe, such as hydrogen and helium, also aligns with predictions made by the Big Bang theory. Additionally, the observed expansion of the Universe and the distribution of galaxies and large-scale structures also provide evidence for the mechanism of matter creation.

Back