Mellin's inversion integral, branch cut problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the inverse Laplace transform of a function with a branch cut and using a contour to avoid it. The issue at hand is whether the residue theorem can be used to calculate the integral along a small circle, with the suggestion to use a different integral instead. The conversation also considers the possibility of using this approach for Mellin transform problems.
nearlynothing
I recently had to solve a problem in which i had to find the inverse laplace transform of some function with a branch cut from - ∞ to 0, so i used a contour avoiding that branch cut like this

http://www.solitaryroad.com/c916/ole19.gif

my problem is as follows: i know the contributions from the integrals BDE and LNA are both zero, then the problem is to calculate the two integrals close to the real axis and the one along the small "circle", i calculated the ones next to the real axis already.

But i was wondering if for the one along the circle i can use the residue theorem and consider s = 0 as a pole, and thinking about the circle as if it was closed, as the lines next to the real axis are infinitely close to it, therefore "closing" the circle path, and also as the radius of the circle becomes infinitely small it would only contain the point s = 0 inside, in a polelike fashion.
I know I'm far from being mathematically rigid, but i did the calculations for two problems of the kind considering s = 0 as a pole for that particular integral and i got the right result on both.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just learning this stuff myself, but I think residues are wrong, since the closed contour is the full contour and the small circle is open, and coming from above and below does not necessarily lead you to the same point, since the function may be multivalued. I believe you need to do the integral as

\begin{equation}
\int_{-\pi+\eta}^{\pi-\eta} f(\theta) d\theta
\end{equation}

with [itex]z=\epsilon e^{i\theta}[/itex] and [itex]\eta, \epsilon → 0[/itex]. Probably it is possible from your problem to estimate the upper limit for the size of this integral, and I think that for Mellin transform problems this integral is always zero?

Related to Mellin's inversion integral, branch cut problem

1. What is Mellin's inversion integral?

Mellin's inversion integral is a mathematical tool used to solve problems in complex analysis and number theory. It is named after the mathematician Adolf Hurwitz Mellin and is closely related to the more well-known Fourier and Laplace transforms.

2. What is the branch cut problem in Mellin's inversion integral?

The branch cut problem in Mellin's inversion integral arises when the integration path crosses a branch cut, causing the integral to diverge. This can make it difficult to accurately calculate the inverse Mellin transform and can lead to incorrect results if not properly addressed.

3. How is the branch cut problem typically addressed in Mellin's inversion integral?

One common approach to addressing the branch cut problem is to deform the integration path away from the branch cut. This can be done by choosing a suitable contour or by using analytic continuation techniques. Another approach is to use a modified version of the inverse Mellin transform that avoids the branch cut altogether.

4. What are some applications of Mellin's inversion integral?

Mellin's inversion integral has various applications in mathematics and physics, including the study of zeta functions, the calculation of special functions and integrals, and the analysis of asymptotic behaviors of functions. It has also been used in the field of signal processing to extract information from signals or data sets.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using Mellin's inversion integral?

One limitation of Mellin's inversion integral is that it is not always applicable to all types of functions. In some cases, the function may not have a suitable Mellin transform or the inverse Mellin transform may be difficult to calculate. Additionally, the branch cut problem can pose a challenge and may require advanced mathematical techniques to overcome.