Member forces of a simple Truss

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a truss question and discussing which joint to start with when solving through the method of joints. The student eventually figures out the solution by using moment equations and solving for the reactions at the supports first before tackling the rest of the joints.
twenty5

Homework Statement

hi all, I've got a simple truss question. Which asks to solve for the member forces. I've learned the stuff in class, but from what I see here, I don't know which joint to start with. With the provided image below, can someone please direct me to which joint I should start with? and I'll try to take that concept into the other questions. Thanks!

More info. I'm trying to solve through method of joints... so I'm breaking it up into many joints

Homework Equations

(net)Fx = 0
(net)Fy = 0

[PLAIN]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2452/truss.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by assuming some forces on the supports

+Ay, +Dx, and +Dy

I wrote out all of the joints with their equilibrium equations, but they all have too many unknown variables :/. If someone can just give me a push start it would be nice ^^; thanks!If I start with Join A, I get:

Fx = 0 ; a + dcos36.9 =0
Fy = 0 ; Ay + dsin36.9 = 0

pretty much happens with the rest of the joints too :S... Unless there are some substitutions to be done ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OOOH NVM NVM NVM NVM.; I GOT IT. thanks for the consideration of this thread though. ^^

For those who may also encounter this ^^ you have to use the moment equations to get the reactions at the supports. From this, you can calculate the rest of the values ^^ very happy. thanks ( thanking myself hahaha )

Yes, always solve for the reactions first, then start with the simplest joints. Joint B is very simple, then joint A and D. The rest will follow.

Related to Member forces of a simple Truss

1. What is a simple truss?

A simple truss is a structural system composed of interconnected members that form triangular units. It is typically used to support loads over a span and transfer them to the supports at either end.

2. What are member forces in a simple truss?

Member forces refer to the forces that act on each individual member of the truss. These forces include tension, compression, and shear, and they are essential for maintaining the stability and balance of the truss structure.

3. How do you calculate member forces in a simple truss?

Member forces can be calculated using the method of joints or the method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint in the truss, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into sections and analyzing the forces on each section.

4. What factors affect the member forces in a simple truss?

The member forces in a simple truss are affected by several factors, including the applied load, the geometry and arrangement of the truss members, and the type of supports at the ends of the truss. Changes in any of these factors can result in different member forces.

5. How do member forces impact the overall stability of a simple truss?

The member forces in a simple truss play a critical role in maintaining the overall stability of the structure. If the forces are not properly distributed and balanced, the truss may experience excessive stresses and ultimately fail. Therefore, it is essential to carefully calculate and analyze the member forces to ensure the stability and safety of the truss.