Mercury Tilt Switch: Availability & Alternatives

In summary, mercury tilt switches are available in stores, but there are alternatives. If you are trying to do something that uses a mercury switch, you can look to the geometry of what you are trying to do.
hazim
mercury tilt switch?

hi...is mercury switch available in stores and can be easily found?? also is there some circuit that functions same as the mercury switch?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can't find them in stores they are common in room thermostats (at least in the US)
There are alternatives but many are either sensitive to vibration or have a limited lifetime

"also is there some circuit that functions same as the mercury switch?"

Bimetal switches are used like mercury switches in themostats.

Edit: I guess this really doesn't make much sense. Even with the mecury switches; they are attached to a bimetal coil that tilts the mecury tube as the temperature changes.

I was thinking of the ones where there is a contact on the coiled bimetal that make to a stationary contact when the temperatures changes.

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
"also is there some circuit that functions same as the mercury switch?"

Bi metal switches are used like mercury switches in thermostats.

no, it is usually a bi metal strip that tips the mercury switch. The mercury switch makes and breaks the circuit, the bi metal strip bends with temperature and in conjunction with the knob determines the temp at witch the mercury switch tips.

hazim said:
also is there some circuit that functions same as the mercury switch?

For alternatives (which would be good, considering how toxic mercury is), look to the geometry of what you are trying to do. If you are sensing the lid of something being opened, you can use a mechanical spring-loaded push-switch to tell you when the lid is closed, and when it is opened. Or, you can use the magnet+reed sensor pair things that are commonly used to sense door openings for alarm systems. The magnet is mounted on one surface, and as the door/window is closed, that brings the reed unit in close enough proximity to close the reed contacts.

You can also use simple rotary encoders to tell when something is being tilted (about some axial arrangement), or more sophisticated sensors for other arrangements and movements.

What is your target geometry?

A simple ball-bearing in a non-conductive tube works well; just stick a couple of bare wires side-by-side in one end. Also, a piece of chain going through a cork into a tin can--connect one side of your circuit to the chain and the other to the can. There are lots of variations upon both of those.

berkeman said:
considering how toxic mercury is

when i was a kid, many times i used to hold a glob of it in my hands. lotsa fun.

hat making was a pretty safe vocation (better than stripping the silver offa photographic film using cyanide) and lead goblets didn't hurt anyone.

i just liked to construct this circuit http://www.redcircuits.com/Page9.htm ...anyway thanks for all; i think it will be less exactitude and somehow hard to do it in mechanic way...

Related to Mercury Tilt Switch: Availability & Alternatives

1. What is a Mercury Tilt Switch?

A Mercury Tilt Switch is a type of electrical switch that uses the movement of mercury to open or close a circuit. It is commonly used in applications where the orientation or tilt of an object needs to be detected, such as in thermostats or security systems.

2. Is Mercury Tilt Switch still available for purchase?

No, Mercury Tilt Switches are no longer available for purchase due to environmental concerns. The use of mercury in these switches poses a risk to human health and the environment, and many countries have banned their production and sale.

3. What are the alternatives to Mercury Tilt Switch?

Some alternatives to Mercury Tilt Switch include solid-state tilt switches, which use a ball bearing or other conductive material to complete a circuit when tilted, and optical tilt switches, which use a light beam to detect tilt. Other options include capacitive tilt sensors and MEMS (micro-electromechanical systems) tilt sensors.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when handling a Mercury Tilt Switch?

Yes, mercury is a toxic substance and should be handled with care. If you come into contact with a broken or leaking Mercury Tilt Switch, avoid direct contact with the mercury and follow proper disposal procedures. It is also important to properly dispose of any old Mercury Tilt Switches that are no longer in use.

5. Can I still use my old devices that contain Mercury Tilt Switches?

It is not recommended to continue using devices that contain Mercury Tilt Switches, as they may pose a risk to your health and the environment. Consider replacing these devices with newer, safer alternatives. If you must continue using them, make sure to handle and dispose of them properly.