Merging FITS Images with Python & Astropy

In summary, FITS stands for Flexible Image Transport System and is commonly used in scientific imaging due to its ability to store and transfer large amounts of data while preserving metadata and compatibility. To merge multiple FITS images using Python and Astropy, the "fits" module can be used along with the "np.dstack" function from numpy. Merging images with different dimensions or pixel scales is possible, but may require resampling or reprojection. It is also possible to merge images with different data types, but the resulting image will have the data type of the first image in the stack. However, there may be limitations, such as manually adjusting headers and requiring a significant amount of memory and processing power for large and complex images.
mahya
Hello everyone,

I would like to know how I can combine two FITS images (which are continuum maps of two sources) in python using astropy.

Bests

Technology news on Phys.org
Hello mahya

If this is a homework question it should be posted in "Homework" section.

In any case, take a look here at http://www.astropy.org/astropy-tutorials/FITS-images.html. Knowing how to open FITS files and load data you then can do various manipulations using arrays.

FAQ: Merging FITS Images with Python & Astropy

1. What is FITS and why is it commonly used in scientific imaging?

FITS stands for Flexible Image Transport System and is a file format commonly used in scientific imaging. It was originally developed for storing, transmitting, and processing data from telescopes and other astronomical instruments. FITS files are widely used because they can store and transfer large amounts of data while preserving important metadata and maintaining compatibility with different software and operating systems.

2. How can I merge multiple FITS images using Python and Astropy?

To merge multiple FITS images using Python and Astropy, you can use the "fits" module from the astropy library. First, you will need to open all of the images you want to merge using the "fits.open" function. Then, you can use the "np.dstack" function from the numpy library to stack the images along the third axis, creating a new image with all of the data combined. Finally, you can save the new image using the "fits.writeto" function.

3. Can I merge FITS images with different dimensions or pixel scales?

Yes, you can merge FITS images with different dimensions or pixel scales. However, it is important to note that the resulting merged image may have a different pixel scale or dimensions than the original images. You may need to resample or reproject the images before merging them to ensure that they are aligned properly.

4. Can I merge FITS images with different data types?

Yes, you can merge FITS images with different data types. However, the resulting merged image will have the data type of the first image in the stack. If there are significant differences in the data types, it may be necessary to convert the images to the same data type before merging them.

5. Are there any limitations to merging FITS images with Python and Astropy?

There are some limitations to merging FITS images with Python and Astropy. For example, if the images have different header information, you may need to manually adjust the headers before merging. Additionally, merging large images with high resolutions may require a significant amount of memory and processing power. It is important to carefully consider the size and complexity of the images before attempting to merge them.