Mesh problem in Ansys Turbogrid

In summary, when using ANSYS Turbogrid, there is a setting for Near Wall Element Size in the mesh data object that has three methods: 1-absolute, 2-y+, and 3-normalize. For 1-absolute, you specify the size of the first cell at the wall in absolute numbers. For 2-y+, the cell size is determined based on a desired y+ value at the wall. And for 3-normalize, a relative value is given based on a length scale. It is recommended to have a mesh with a specific y+ value, but this requires knowledge of the local velocity and how Turbogrid calculates it. If you have any further information or experience with these methods,
mahdien
in ansys turbogrid i faced a setting that couldn't find out how it works and couldn't find an appropriate description for that.
Near Wall Element Size specification in mesh data object that has 3 methods(1-absolute 2-y+ 3-normalize)
i upload an image from software
if someone know anything about these please help me

thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 820
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with turbogrid, but I'd say that for 1-absolute you give the size of the first cell at the wall in absolute numbers, e.g. 0.001 m.
if it is 2-y+, your cell size will be such that you obtain a certain y+ value at the wall, e.g. y+=1 for completely resolved wall or y+=30 if you are using turbulence wall functions. 3-normalized, you probably give a relative value based on some length scale, so if it is a pipe with a typical length scale of 2 m, then 0.001 will mean a 0.002 m cell size at the wall.
Having a mesh with a certain y+ value is preferred, but you need the local velocity for that, so the actual solution of the flow problem. I'm not sure how turbogrid knows how to do this.

Related to Mesh problem in Ansys Turbogrid

1. What is a "Mesh problem" in Ansys Turbogrid?

A "Mesh problem" refers to an issue encountered during the process of generating a mesh for a turbomachinery component using Ansys Turbogrid software. This can include errors or inconsistencies in the mesh, which can affect the accuracy and reliability of the simulation results.

2. What are the common causes of mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid?

The most common causes of mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid include incorrect boundary conditions, improper mesh settings, and geometric complexity of the component. Other factors can include low quality CAD models, improper grid spacing, and insufficient mesh refinement in critical areas.

3. How can I troubleshoot mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid?

To troubleshoot mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid, it is important to carefully review the settings and parameters used for mesh generation. Check for any errors or warnings in the meshing process and make adjustments as needed. Additionally, performing grid convergence studies can help identify areas of the mesh that may need refinement.

4. Can mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid affect the accuracy of simulation results?

Yes, mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid can significantly affect the accuracy of simulation results. This is because the mesh acts as the foundation for the simulation and any errors or inconsistencies in the mesh can propagate and impact the results. It is important to address mesh problems to ensure reliable and accurate simulation outcomes.

5. How can I prevent mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid?

To prevent mesh problems in Ansys Turbogrid, it is important to follow best practices for mesh generation, such as properly defining boundary conditions, using appropriate mesh settings, and ensuring proper mesh refinement. It is also recommended to use high-quality CAD models and perform grid convergence studies to validate the mesh before running simulations.