Metallicity of the WHIM and ICM, and its history

• Thread starter hellfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the WHIM is a region of gas within a galaxy cluster that is not bound by the cluster's gravity. It is thought to form during the early stages of cluster formation, and is made up largely of baryons - the heavier elements. It is unclear whether the WHIM is rich in metals, as it is thought to have formed early in the evolution of the universe and before metals were widespread.
hellfire
Science Advisor
SpaceTiger said:
Well, firstly, I don't think there's any reason that all of the gas in an overdensity should have to collapse into galaxies (note that there is still material falling in from outside of clusters). Even if it did, however, there are processes that can eject gas from galaxies, most notably starburst activity and collisions.
Thank you for your answers.

There are some aspects regarding the distribution of the baryons which are unclear to me. I am not sure whether the following questions fit in this thread. If you want, I could start a new one (or the moderators could split this post).

First, let's assume that in the present universe a high fraction of baryons are located in the WHIM. The formation of the WHIM is related to shock waves during gravitational collapse. Shock waves are a part of gravitational collapse, they heat the baryons and influence the efficiency of galaxy formation. Given that shock waves take place already at the very beginning of the gravitational collapse, I assume that only at z > 2 the gravitational potentials are deep enough to generate shock waves that put the baryons in an unbounded (non-virialized) hot phase.

On the other hand, another significant fraction of the baryons is located in the intracluster medium (ICM), which does also form at z > 2, more or less (as clusters are forming at z > 2). Naively, I would assume that the intergalactic medium starts collapsing into the galaxy clusters at z ~ 2. Then, some of these baryons collapse to form the ICM and others are shock-heated to form the WHIM. But it is unclear to me whether this picture fits with the observed / assumed metallicities: it would meand that, if the primordial intergalactic medium was very poor in metals, the WHIM should be also very poor in metals and the metal content of the ICM was provided during 2 > z > 0.

Is this correct?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hellfire said:
Thank you for your answers.

There are some aspects regarding the distribution of the baryons which are unclear to me. I am not sure whether the following questions fit in this thread. If you want, I could start a new one (or the moderators could split this post).

First, let's assume that in the present universe a high fraction of baryons are located in the WHIM. The formation of the WHIM is related to shock waves during gravitational collapse. Shock waves are a part of gravitational collapse, they heat the baryons and influence the efficiency of galaxy formation. Given that shock waves take place already at the very beginning of the gravitational collapse, I assume that only at z > 2 the gravitational potentials are deep enough to generate shock waves that put the baryons in an unbounded (non-virialized) hot phase.

On the other hand, another significant fraction of the baryons is located in the intracluster medium (ICM), which does also form at z > 2, more or less (as clusters are forming at z > 2). Naively, I would assume that the intergalactic medium starts collapsing into the galaxy clusters at z ~ 2. Then, some of these baryons collapse to form the ICM and others are shock-heated to form the WHIM. But it is unclear to me whether this picture fits with the observed / assumed metallicities: it would meand that, if the primordial intergalactic medium was very poor in metals, the WHIM should be also very poor in metals and the metal content of the ICM was provided during 2 > z > 0.

Is this correct?
hellfire,

I'd like to split this off into another thread ... it takes us rather OT.

But first, for those not quite in the know, what is the "WHIM"?

Per hellfire's request, I've split this from the Quasar Absorption Lines thread, here in General Astronomy & Cosmology.

Last edited:

FAQ: Metallicity of the WHIM and ICM, and its history

1. What is metallicity and how is it measured?

Metallicity refers to the abundance of elements heavier than hydrogen and helium in a given environment. It is typically measured using spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted from a source to determine the relative amounts of different elements present.

2. Why is the metallicity of the WHIM and ICM important to study?

The metallicity of the warm-hot intergalactic medium (WHIM) and intracluster medium (ICM) can provide valuable information about the history of galaxy formation and the evolution of the universe. It can also offer insights into the processes of gas accretion, feedback, and enrichment in these environments.

3. How has the metallicity of the WHIM and ICM changed over time?

The metallicity of the WHIM and ICM has increased over time as more elements have been produced through stellar nucleosynthesis and distributed throughout the universe. However, the exact evolution of metallicity in these environments is still not fully understood and is an active area of research.

4. What are some possible sources of metals in the WHIM and ICM?

The primary sources of metals in the WHIM and ICM are supernova explosions and winds from stars in galaxies. These processes release heavy elements into the surrounding gas, which can then be transported into the WHIM and ICM through various mechanisms such as galactic outflows and mergers.

5. How can the metallicity of the WHIM and ICM be used to study the properties of dark matter?

Dark matter is thought to make up a significant portion of the mass in the universe, and its interactions with gas in the WHIM and ICM can affect the distribution and evolution of metals in these environments. By studying the metallicity of the WHIM and ICM, scientists can gain a better understanding of how dark matter behaves and its role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.