Metalogic, Incompleteness, Help

• Thread starter spenx01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate philosophy student at METU (Turkey) who is taking a PhD course called Foundations of Logic 2. The textbook for the course is "Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems" by Raymond M. Smullyan. The student has a take-home exam due on Friday and needs help with four questions. The questions involve proving that finite sets are representable in Peano Arithmetic, finding a formula that represents the set of even numbers but only includes numbers divisible by six, generalizing this formula, and determining if a set is expressible. The conversation also discusses a supposed proof involving Gödel numbers and the diagonal function, as well as proving that a set is representable in an
spenx01
I am a undergraduate philosophy student at METU (Turkey). I took a phd course called Foundations of Logic 2. Our book is Taymond M. Smullyan : “Gödel’s incompleteness Theorems”. I have a take-home exam due to this Friday. I have to solve four questions. Yet, I am unable to solve any of them. If you help me to solve any of these questions, I will be very glad because without this exam I cannot be graduate.

Questions:
NOTE: the overlined “n” – n whith a dash over it – is symbolised as "nn" here because of lack of symbols. Thus, nn =overdashed-n. And, V1 is variable.
1.) a) Prove that all finite sets are representable in PA(Peano Arithmetic).
b) Find a formula F(v1) such that F(v1) expresses the set of even numbers but represent only the set of numbers divisible by six in PA.
c) how can part (b) generalized?
d) Is the set A={n : En[nn] is False} expressible?
e) Find a formula F(v1) which represents N (set of natural numbers) in PA but ∀v1F(v1) is not provable in PA.
2.) Find the mistake in the following “proof”.
Claim : The set P of Gödel numbers of sentences provable in PA is not representable in PA.
Proof : Assume on the contrary that there is a formula H(v1) which represents P:
n∈P ↔ PA ⊢ H(nn)
let X be a fixed point of the formula ~H(v1), that is;
PA⊢X ≡ ~H(X) --- the second X here is overdashed)
Now,
PA ⊢ X ↔ g(X) ∈ P ↔ PA ⊢ H(X) ↔ PA ⊬ X
A contradiction. Hence P is not representable.
3.) Let S be an extension of the system ( R ). Prove that every representable set A has a Gödel sentence with respect to S.
Hint: First prove that : “If the diagonal function d(x) is acceptable in S, then for every set A representable in S, there is a Gödel sentence for A”. Then show that d is acceptable in S.
4.) Prove : “If the diagonal function d(x) is strongly definable in S and S is inconsistent, then the set P is not definable in S.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to show some work yourself. At the very least what is "Peano's Arithmetic" and what properties do you need to prove that a set is representable?

Related to Metalogic, Incompleteness, Help

1. What is metalogic?

Metalogic is a branch of logic that examines the properties and limitations of formal systems. It deals with the study of logical systems themselves, rather than the use of logic in other fields.

2. What is the concept of incompleteness in metalogic?

Incompleteness in metalogic refers to the idea that there are statements within a formal logical system that cannot be proven or disproven using the rules and axioms of that system. This was famously demonstrated by Kurt Gödel in his Incompleteness Theorems.

3. How does metalogic relate to mathematics?

Metalogic is closely related to mathematics as it provides a foundation for understanding mathematical systems and their limitations. It also helps to identify and resolve paradoxes and inconsistencies within mathematical systems.

4. Can metalogic help improve logical reasoning skills?

Yes, studying metalogic can improve logical reasoning skills by providing a deeper understanding of the principles and rules of logic. It can also help identify common logical fallacies and improve critical thinking abilities.

5. Are there practical applications of metalogic?

While metalogic is primarily a theoretical field, it does have practical applications in fields such as computer science, linguistics, and philosophy. It can also be used to analyze and improve the design and functionality of logical systems.