Method of Undetermined Coefficients Question?

In summary, the general solution for the given problem is y = Y1 + Y2 + Y3, where Y1, Y2, and Y3 are the respective particular solutions.
XcKyle93

Homework Statement

Find a suitable form for the general solution of
y'' - 4y' + 4y = 2t2 + 4t*e2t + t*sin(2t)
For respective particular solutions, state where it is a general or a special case. DO NOT evaluate coefficents.

Homework Equations

Y1 = At2 + Bt + C
Y2 = (Dt3 + Et2) * e2t
Y3 = (Ft + G)sin(2t) + (Ht + I)cos(2t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the method of undetermined coefficients, and I found the particular solutions. They are right. What does it mean when it asks if a particular solution is of the general or special case? I have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org

In this context, a general solution refers to a solution that can be applied to a wide range of problems, while a special case refers to a solution that is specific to a certain set of conditions or parameters. For example, in the given problem, the particular solution Y1 = At^2 + Bt + C is a general solution because it can be applied to any problem with the given form. On the other hand, the particular solution Y2 = (Dt^3 + Et^2) * e^(2t) is a special case because it is only applicable to problems with a specific form involving t^3 and e^(2t). Similarly, Y3 = (Ft + G)sin(2t) + (Ht + I)cos(2t) is also a special case as it is only applicable to problems involving sine and cosine functions.

Related to Method of Undetermined Coefficients Question?

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients question?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used in mathematics and physics to solve differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to an equation, given the form of the general solution and any necessary boundary conditions.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is typically used when solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients, where the non-homogeneous term has a specific form, such as a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

3. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

The method of undetermined coefficients works by assuming a particular solution to the differential equation, based on the form of the non-homogeneous term. This solution is then substituted into the original equation, and the coefficients are determined by solving for the unknown constants.

4. What are the limitations of the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients can only be applied to a limited number of non-homogeneous terms, such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions. It also does not work for non-constant coefficients or non-linear differential equations.

5. How do I know if the method of undetermined coefficients is the right approach for solving a differential equation?

If the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation has a specific form and the coefficients are constant, then the method of undetermined coefficients is likely a good approach to solving the equation. However, it is always a good idea to check the general solution using other methods to ensure accuracy.