Method of undetermined coefficients

Your name] In summary, the conversation discusses solving a given differential equation using the method of undetermined coefficients. The equation provided is in the form of v(t)=a*t*e^-t + be^-t + ct + d and the user has correctly replaced v(t) with x. They have started to calculate the coefficients but have made a few errors. The solution to the differential equation is x=0, which is a trivial solution. To get a non-trivial solution, the method of variation of parameters should be used. The user is advised to continue with their calculations and to ask for further clarification if needed.
danield

Homework Statement

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs3098/rc/boyce3346c07/math/math1074.gif

solve using the method of undetermined coefficients

Homework Equations

v(t)=a*t*e^-t + be^-t + ct + d

The Attempt at a Solution

what i could do is that i replaced v(t) for x in the equation and got the following
Aa=-a
Ab=a-b-(1,0)
Ac=-(0,1)
Ad=c

now I am not sure how to continue from here i was told that vector a = (alpha, alpha)

to plug this in into the Ab equation so it ends up like this

(A+I)b=(alpha -1, alpha)

but that is giving me that 1 = 0 and I am stuck there
any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with solving this problem using the method of undetermined coefficients.

Firstly, let's review the problem and the equations you have provided. The problem is asking you to solve the given differential equation using the method of undetermined coefficients. The equation is in the form of v(t) = a*t*e^-t + be^-t + ct + d, and you have correctly replaced v(t) with x to make it x = a*t*e^-t + be^-t + ct + d.

Next, you have started to calculate the coefficients by equating the coefficients of the terms with the same powers. However, there are a few errors in your calculations. Firstly, the coefficient of e^-t term should be (-a+b), not (a-b). Secondly, the coefficient of the constant term should be (-c), not (c). Lastly, the coefficient of the t term should be (c), not (-c).

Now, let's continue with the calculation of the coefficients. We can rewrite the equations as follows:
Aa = -a
Ab = -a+b
Ac = c
Ad = -c

From the first equation, we can see that a = 0. Then, substituting this value into the second equation, we get b = 0. Now, we can substitute both values of a and b into the third equation, we get c = 0. Finally, substituting all the values of a, b, and c into the last equation, we get d = 0.

Therefore, the solution to the differential equation is x = 0. This means that the function v(t) is equal to 0, which is a constant value. This is a trivial solution and it is not very useful. To get a non-trivial solution, we need to use the method of variation of parameters.

I hope this helps you to solve the problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your calculations!

FAQ: Method of undetermined coefficients

What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used in solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It involves guessing a particular solution based on the form of the nonhomogeneous term in the equation.

When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used when the nonhomogeneous term in a linear differential equation has a known form, such as a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function.

How is the particular solution guessed in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The particular solution is guessed by assuming a form that is similar to the nonhomogeneous term. For example, if the nonhomogeneous term is a polynomial of degree n, the particular solution will also be a polynomial of degree n.

What is the role of the complementary function in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The complementary function, which is the solution to the associated homogeneous equation, determines the form of the particular solution. It helps in choosing the appropriate form to guess for the particular solution.

What is the difference between the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters?

Both methods are used to find particular solutions to linear differential equations with constant coefficients. The main difference is that the method of undetermined coefficients involves guessing a particular solution, while the method of variation of parameters involves finding a particular solution by integrating a function.