Method of undetermined coefficients

In summary, the conversation involves solving a second-order differential equation with the non-homogeneous term of cosx-x2ex. The characteristic equation is solved to find the complementary solution, and a general approach is used to find the particular solution. It is suggested to deal with the trigonometric and non-trig terms separately and then add them together. The final solution includes arbitrary constants that can be solved for with initial conditions.
ProPatto16
solve y''+y'+y=cosx-x2ex

y= yc+yp

yc:

characteristic eq gives r2+r+1=0

using quadratic formula i got r=-1/2+[(sqrt3)/2]i and r=-1/2-[(sqrt3)/2]i

so yc=e-x/2(c1cos(sqrt3/2)x+c2sin(sqrt3/2)x

but i have no idea of a particular solution that makes any sense.

i tried a general approach, the functions and their derivitives on the RHS include terms cosx, sinx, x2ex, xex, ex

so i good start would be yp=Acosx+Bsinx+Cx2ex+Dxex+Eex

then find y'p and y''p and sub into original equation.
but it becomes so dam monstrous there must be another way.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to grind through it. You might find it easier to deal with cos x and x2ex separately and then add the two particular solutions together at the end.

When dealing with the non-trig terms, factor the common exponential out so that you have a polynomial multiplied by the exponential. That way, when you differentiate, you only have to apply the product rule once.

so i grinded through it and ended up with

yp=0cosx+1sinx-(1/3)x2ex+(2/3)xex-(4/9)ex

then to solve i put y=yc+yp

so y= e-2/x[(c1cos(sqrt3/2)x+c2sin(sqrt3/2)x] + 0cosx+1sinx-(1/3)x2ex+(2/3)xex-(4/9)ex

yeah?

that seems mighty ridiculous :(

and what about c1 and c2?? i don't have initial conditions given so i can't solve for them??

I'm guessing it's just a typo, but the first exponential should be e-x/2, not exp-2/x.

You're correct. You need initial conditions to find the arbitrary constants.

Related to Method of undetermined coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used in solving ordinary differential equations with constant coefficients. It involves determining the form of the particular solution based on the form of the nonhomogeneous term in the equation.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used when solving nonhomogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It is particularly useful when the nonhomogeneous term is in the form of a polynomial, exponential, sine, or cosine function.

3. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

The method of undetermined coefficients works by assuming a particular form for the solution to the nonhomogeneous differential equation and then solving for the coefficients in that form. These coefficients are then substituted into the original equation to find the particular solution.

4. What are the limitations of the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is limited to solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also does not work for all types of nonhomogeneous terms, such as those containing logarithmic or hyperbolic functions.

5. How does the method of undetermined coefficients compare to other methods of solving differential equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients is one of the simplest and most efficient methods for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. However, it may not always work for more complex nonhomogeneous terms, in which case other methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms may be necessary.