Methods for Solving Linear Algebraic Equations: Which One Is Best?

In summary, the system of linear algebraic equations x − y = 1 and 2x + 3y = 7 can be solved using Cramer's rule or Gaussian elimination, resulting in the solutions x=2 and y=1. The first iteration of the Jacobi method can also be used, with the initial guess x^0=y^0=1, resulting in x^1=2 and y^1=5/3.
eddysd
For the system of linear algebraic equations:
x − y = 1
2x + 3y = 7
a) find solution by the Cramer’s rule;
b) find solution by the method of Gaussian elimination;
c) write the first iteration of the Jacobi method with the initial guess x^0=y^0=1.

I understand Cramer's Rule, and I think I understand Gaussian elimination, have got
x=2 and y=1 for both of them, but I have no idea how to do part c). Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of matrices, this system would be written as
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 2 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

We can take out the "diagonal" and rewrite it as
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}i+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

so that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}- \begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 \\2 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

or, just in terms of the equations, x= 1+ y, 3y= 7- 2x so we have x= 1+ y, y= (7- 2x)/3.

Taking [itex]x^0= y^0= 1[/itex], we have [itex]x^1= 1+ y^0= 1+ 1= 2[/itex] and [itex]y^1= (7- 2x^0)/3= (7- 2)/3= 5/3[/itex].

Thank you, very helpful! :biggrin:

FAQ: Methods for Solving Linear Algebraic Equations: Which One Is Best?

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. The graph of a linear equation is a straight line, and the solution to the equation is the point where the line intersects the x-axis.

2. What are the different methods for solving linear equations?

There are several methods for solving linear equations, including graphing, substitution, elimination, and matrix methods. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of equations.

3. How do I know if a system of equations has a unique solution?

A system of equations has a unique solution if the number of equations is equal to the number of variables and the equations are independent, meaning they do not share any solutions. This can be determined by using methods such as elimination or matrix operations.

4. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the equation represents a line, and any point on the line is a solution. In other cases, a linear equation may have no solution if the lines are parallel and do not intersect.

5. How are linear equations used in real-life applications?

Linear equations are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the cost of goods or services, predicting the growth of a population, and determining the best route for travel. They are also used in fields like engineering, economics, and physics to model and solve real-world problems.

Back