Methods for solving simultaneous equations

In summary, for the equations: a) y=x-6 and y=2x-14, you can solve for x and y by setting y=y and solving for x in the two equations. b) y=0.5x-7 and y=3x-22, you can also solve for x and y by setting y=y and solving for x in the two equations. c) 9y-4x+6=0 and 4x-2y-7=0, you can add the two equations to cancel out the terms with x and solve for y. Then, plug in the value of y into either of the equations and solve for x. This method works because the equations
TheAkuma
Hey everyone. Okay, first of all I'm not sure if these equations are simultaneous or linear so please correct me if I'm wrong. I need to know a simple procedure to tackle on these equations.Thanks.

a) y=x-6 and y=2x-14
b) y=0.5x-7 and y=3x-22
c) 9y-4x+6=0 and 4x-2y-7=0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, the first two are very easy because you have just "y" on the left hand side. Since obviously, y cannot have two different values at the same time, you must have y = y and therefore in the first case also x - 6 = 2x - 14 and in the second case 0.5x - 7 = 3x - 22. From this you can solve x in both cases, and then you just plug that value back into also find y.

The third case is a little more tricky. I suggest rewriting one of the equations to isolate either x or y, then plug that into the other equation so you get a single equation in a single variable. For example, you can rewrite the second one to 4x = ... and then replace the 4x in the first equation by that expression (watch out for the minus sign in front!)

TheAkuma said:
c) 9y-4x+6=0 and 4x-2y-7=0

Alternatively - note, that on the left hand side of both equation you have 4x and -4x. If you add these equations side by side, x will cancel out.

Quite often this can be done just by multiplying one of the equations by a constant. For example

x + 2y = 7
2x + 3y = 6

multiply first equation by -2:

-2x - 4y = -14

add equations:

-2x - 4y = -14
2x + 3y = 6
----------------
-y = -8

You may as well multiply second equation by 2 and then subtract it from the first equation, it will give the same effect.

CompuChip said:
Well, the first two are very easy because you have just "y" on the left hand side. Since obviously, y cannot have two different values at the same time, you must have y = y and therefore in the first case also x - 6 = 2x - 14 and in the second case 0.5x - 7 = 3x - 22. From this you can solve x in both cases, and then you just plug that value back into also find y.

The third case is a little more tricky. I suggest rewriting one of the equations to isolate either x or y, then plug that into the other equation so you get a single equation in a single variable. For example, you can rewrite the second one to 4x = ... and then replace the 4x in the first equation by that expression (watch out for the minus sign in front!)

Thank you so very much. That third one really made me scratching my head. Are you able to give me the order of operation to rewrite the 4x= please?

Borek said:
Alternatively - note, that on the left hand side of both equation you have 4x and -4x. If you add these equations side by side, x will cancel out.

Quite often this can be done just by multiplying one of the equations by a constant. For example

x + 2y = 7
2x + 3y = 6

multiply first equation by -2:

-2x - 4y = -14

add equations:

-2x - 4y = -14
2x + 3y = 6
----------------
-y = -8

You may as well multiply second equation by 2 and then subtract it from the first equation, it will give the same effect.

THanks. So you're saying all i have to do is just add the equations for c) together?

Try it.

Borek said:
Try it.

I don't know what i keep doing wrong. I keep getting 7y=1

Borek said:
Try it.

Oi dude, my Maths B exam is tomorrow and i need to know this question please

TheAkuma said:
Oi dude, my Maths B exam is tomorrow and i need to know this question please

its alright, ii finally got it. Thanks

TheAkuma said:
I keep getting 7y=1

Good :smile:

I was AFK, but I see you managed to get it right on your own.

For (c), the simplest way is to notice that the two equations, 9y-4x+6=0 and 4x-2y-7=0 Have "4x" and "-4x". If you add the two equations, they cancel leaving (9-2)y+ (6-7)= 0 or 7y- 1= 0. Then 7y= 1 so y= 1/7. Replace y in either of the original equations to get a single equation to solve for x.

By the way, the equations are both "simultaneous" (because there is more than one equation) and "linear" (because you have no powers of x and y except [itex]x^1= 1[/itex] and [itex]y^1= y[/itex] or more complicated functions of x and y.

Related to Methods for solving simultaneous equations

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations with multiple variables that must be solved at the same time. This means that the values of the variables must satisfy all of the equations in the set.

What are some common methods for solving simultaneous equations?

There are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of equations.

How do I know which method to use for solving a set of simultaneous equations?

The method you choose will depend on the specific equations you are working with. If one of the equations has a variable with a coefficient of 1 or -1, substitution may be a good option. If the equations have coefficients that are multiples of each other, elimination may be a better choice.

What are the steps for solving simultaneous equations using substitution?

The steps for solving simultaneous equations using substitution are:1. Choose one of the equations and solve for one of the variables.2. Substitute the solved variable into the other equation.3. Solve for the remaining variable.4. Check your solution by plugging the values into both equations to see if they are satisfied.

Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the more variables there are, the more complex the equations become and the more difficult it may be to find a solution.