Metric Conservation Law in 2D Spacetime

In summary: The conservation law is just the sum over all the i's:$$\frac{d^2 u^i}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma^i{}_{jk} \frac{du^j}{d\tau}\frac{du^k}{d\tau} = \frac{1}{6} \Left( \frac{d^2 u^i}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma^i{}_{jk} \frac{du^j}{d\tau}\frac{du^k}{d\tau}, 0 \right)$$
Rococo
Consider the following metric for a 2D spacetime:
##g_{tt} = -x ##
##g_{tx} = g_{xt} = 3##
##g_{xx} = 0##

i.e.
[tex]
g_{\mu \nu} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
-x & 3\\
3 & 0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Now, since the metric is independent of time (t), there is supposedly a conservation law containing ##\frac{dx(\tau)}{d\tau}## and ##\frac{dt(\tau)}{d\tau}##. What is this conservation law, and why does the time independence of the metric imply it?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the isometries of such a spacetime, you have to solve for the Killing equations. The tt-component of this equation should answer your question.

A note: GR in two dimensions is a bit problematic; the Einstein-Hilbert action is a topological term, meaning that the Einstein equations are an identity.

Likes vanhees71
Rococo said:
Consider the following metric for a 2D spacetime:
##g_{tt} = -x ##
##g_{tx} = g_{xt} = 3##
##g_{xx} = 0##

i.e.
[tex]
g_{\mu \nu} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
-x & 3\\
3 & 0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Now, since the metric is independent of time (t), there is supposedly a conservation law containing ##\frac{dx(\tau)}{d\tau}## and ##\frac{dt(\tau)}{d\tau}##. What is this conservation law, and why does the time independence of the metric imply it?

Consider a curve ##u^0(\tau) = t(\tau), u^1(\tau) = x(\tau)##. The tangent to this curve is a vector, i.e.

$$\left( \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \frac{dx}{d\tau} \right)$$

is a vector.

Because none of the components of the metric is a function of time, the vector (in the above sense) ##\xi^a = (1,0) = dt/d\tau## is a Killing vector.

The dot product of a tangent vector of a geodesic curve and a Killing vector is a conserved quantity - it is the same everywhere along the geodesic curve. If we let ##u^a = (u^0(\tau), u^1(\tau) ) = (t(\tau), x(\tau))## be a geodesic curve then we can say that the dot product is given by ##g_{ab} \xi^a u^b = \xi_b u^b## is constant. Because ##\xi^a = (1,0)## and ##\xi_a = (-x,3)## we can say that ##-x (dt/d\tau) + 3 (dx/d\tau)## is constant along the curve, i.e. is independent of ##\tau##.

As a check, we can consider ## (d/d\tau) (-x (dt/d\tau) + 3 (dx/d\tau)) = 0##, we know ##d/d\tau## of a constant is zero. Expanding this out using the chain rule, we get:
$$-\frac{dx}{d\tau} \frac{dt}{d\tau} + -x \frac{dt^2}{d\tau^2} + 3 \frac{dx^2}{d\tau^2} = 0$$

We can derive this from the geodesic equation. We compute the christoffel symbols

$$\Gamma^t{}_{tt} = \frac{1}{6} \quad \Gamma^x{}_{tt} = \frac{x}{18} \quad \Gamma^x{}_{tx} = -\frac{1}{6}$$

and confirm that we can derive the above from the geodesic equations, which in tensor notation are:

$$\frac{d^2 u^i}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma^i{}_{jk} \frac{du^j}{d\tau}\frac{du^k}{d\tau} = 0$$

Tensor notaton is very compact - the non-repeated index i generates two equations, one where we substitute i=0, the other where we substitute i=1. For each of these equations, j and k are repeated indices, so we sum over the repeated indicies, i.e we sum , for all four combinations of j,k, (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1).

Related to Metric Conservation Law in 2D Spacetime

1. What is the Metric Conservation Law in 2D Spacetime?

The Metric Conservation Law in 2D Spacetime is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of spacetime, is conserved under a coordinate transformation. This means that the form of the metric tensor remains the same, even when the coordinates used to describe it are changed.

2. Why is the Metric Conservation Law important?

The Metric Conservation Law is important because it allows us to make predictions and perform calculations in different coordinate systems without changing the fundamental laws of physics. It also provides a way to understand the relationship between different coordinate systems and how they relate to each other in terms of the geometry of spacetime.

3. How is the Metric Conservation Law related to general relativity?

The Metric Conservation Law is a key concept in general relativity, which is a theory of gravity that describes the behavior of massive objects in spacetime. In general relativity, the metric tensor is used to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. The conservation of this tensor ensures that the laws of physics remain the same in different reference frames, allowing general relativity to accurately describe the behavior of objects in the universe.

4. Can the Metric Conservation Law be violated?

No, the Metric Conservation Law is a fundamental principle in physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments. It is a cornerstone of our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and is not expected to be violated.

5. How is the Metric Conservation Law applied in practical situations?

The Metric Conservation Law has many practical applications, such as in the design and functioning of GPS systems, which rely on precise measurements of time and space. It is also used in cosmology to study the large scale structure of the universe and understand the behavior of objects such as black holes and galaxies. Additionally, it is crucial in the development of technologies such as gravitational wave detectors, which rely on precise measurements of spacetime curvature.