MGF relating to random sum of random variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the sum of a random number of random variables, specifically related to the MGF. The MGF is defined as the sum of the product of the MGF of each variable and the probability of that variable occurring. The question also takes into account a random variable with a Gamma distribution, making the calculation more complex. The only remaining step is to calculate the probability of a certain number of customers arriving during the service time.
nedflanders
Hi all

I am doing this question right now and I don't even know how to start it up.
I know that it's in relation to a sum of a random number of random variables, but I don't know how to continue on from that.

I've read my textbook and it states some definition for an MGF which is:
$M_{y}(t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} M_{X}(t)^n p_{N}(n)$ but it doesn't derive it, however, I think it relates to this question?

The question is as follows:
YNJovOc.png
Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
The random variable $N$ is defined as the number of customers arriving during the service time $T$ of a customer. If $t$ was a constant you could just apply the MGF of the Poisson distribution. But now $T$ is a random variable which has a Gamma distribution so we have to take that into account. The MGF of $N$ is defined as
$$\mbox{MGF}_{N}(k) = \mathbb{E}[e^{kN}] = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{kn} \mathbb{P}(N=n)$$

The only thing we have to do now is to calculate $\mathbb{P}(N=n)$ which is the probability that $n$ customers will arive at a service station during the service time $T$.

Any thoughts?

Related to MGF relating to random sum of random variables

1. What is MGF and how is it related to random sum of random variables?

MGF (Moment Generating Function) is a mathematical function used to describe the probability distribution of a random variable. It is related to the random sum of random variables through the property that the MGF of the sum of independent random variables is equal to the product of their individual MGFs.

2. What is the purpose of using MGF in relation to random sum of random variables?

The MGF allows us to derive important characteristics of the random sum, such as its moments, variance, and probability distribution. This information is useful in various statistical and probabilistic applications.

3. Can MGF be used to find the probability distribution of a random sum of dependent variables?

No, MGF can only be used to find the probability distribution of a random sum of independent variables. For dependent variables, other methods such as the characteristic function or moment-generating function of the conditional distribution may be used.

4. How is the MGF of a random sum affected by the number of variables being summed?

The MGF of a random sum is affected by the number of variables being summed in that the MGF becomes more complicated and difficult to calculate as the number of variables increases. However, under certain conditions, the MGF can still be obtained using other techniques, such as the convolution theorem.

5. Can the MGF of a random sum be used to find the MGF of the individual variables?

Yes, the MGF of a random sum can be used to find the MGF of the individual variables by taking the product of the MGF of the sum and the inverse MGF of the other variables. This is known as the inversion formula for MGFs.