Did the Michelson-Morley Experiment Disprove the Ether Theory?

sandip4
I read on the forum that:
"Michelson-Morley results strongly suggested the local speed of light being the same in all reference frames."

I think that's an erroneous understanding. MME only suggested that there is no ether because speed of light is not affected in any direction and remained the same even when the earth or experimental setup moved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you link to the source of that statement? The only search result for that text at PF seems to be your post.

The Michelson-Morley experiment rules out naive ether theories, correct. However, attempting to explain the results led to Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction and ultimately the Lorentz transforms, which do imply the invariance of light speed. So the statement you quote could be correct or not depending on context.

sandip4 said:
I read on the forum
Where? Please give a specific reference. You put a quote in quotation marks; that means you need to tell us exactly where the quote came from.

Ibix Thank you for the response.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-violate-the-cosmological-principle.1005817/

It was from @Orodruin who is a senior member here.

Unfortunately, I am no longer interested in this fourm because admin (group policy) forces people with other views to shut up. He flagged me for "misinformation" when I raised a legible scenario challenging so called "answers". Seems people here believes that others MUST FALL IN LINE. It gave me feeling that I am in a religious group. Honestly.

Einstein's theories are based on postulations and they are still postulations. Beliefs in other words. And beliefs can be wrong. I know people are biased and therefore in my post I suggested to go back in 1905. I think you responded that post too.

It is not difficult to analyse MME experiment using vacuum or a frame at rest relative to vacuum and get null result. I have done it. I am sure you can understand its implication on modern science. But then I will be again flagged for "misinformation" without giving me a chance to prove.

Anyway, thanks.
Have a wonderful day.

regards

• Haha
Likes Motore and weirdoguy
Get your idea published and then we can talk. I'll note that you are not even the hundredth person to think they have overturned relativity because they can get a null result for the Michelson-Morley experiment. There are at least three theories that do it in standard textbooks - ballistic theory, entrained ether, and Lorentz ether. The trick is explaining all the rest of the body of evidence - notably Fizeau's experiments, de Sitter's double star observations and stellar aberration. Also electromagnetism and all modern field theories and tgeir successful predictions.

For completeness, the exact quote from Orodruin seems to be "The Michelson-Morely results are more related to the local speed of light being the same in all reference frames", which in the context of the mis-statements by the OP of that thread doesn't seem unreasonable.

Likes russ_watters and Dale
sandip4 said:
It was from @Orodruin who is a senior member here.
No, @Orodruin did not say what you quoted in the OP of this thread. The person who posted the thread you linked to did. @Orodruin posted to correct some misconceptions the person who posted the thread had.

sandip4 said:
Unfortunately, I am no longer interested in this fourm because admin (group policy) forces people with other views to shut up. He flagged me for "misinformation" when I raised a legible scenario challenging so called "answers". Seems people here believes that others MUST FALL IN LINE. It gave me feeling that I am in a religious group. Honestly.
As I told you by PM, you were warned for repeating false claims after you had been told they were false.

sandip4 said:
Einstein's theories are based on postulations and they are still postulations.
Wrong. As I told you by PM, relativity has been extensively confirmed by experiments (and I am talking about experiments done after it was published, not the M-M experiment--although the M-M experiment has been repeated with greater accuracy since relativity was published). So it is not a "postulation". It is an experimentally confirmed fact.

sandip4 said:
It is not difficult to analyse MME experiment using vacuum or a frame at rest relative to vacuum and get null result. I have done it.
Is it published in a peer-reviewed journal? If so, you can give me the reference by PM and we can evaluate it. If not, it's your personal theory and is off limits for discussion here.

This thread is closed.

Likes renormalize