Microelectronic Circuits by Adel S. Sedra

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith is a comprehensive and clear first book on microelectronic circuits. It covers a wide range of topics, including analysis of circuits with nonlinear elements and small-signal transistor models. The book is highly recommended for EE majors, although it may be time-consuming due to its thoroughness. The only flaw noted is the lack of mathematical proofs, but overall, it is a valuable resource for understanding VLSI circuits. Some differences in "rules of thumb" between the book and instructors may be frustrating, but it remains a helpful tool for both analog and digital transistor circuit classes.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this is a fine first book on microelectronic circuits. The coverage is quite clear and comprehensive, and there are plenty of examples of how to analyze circuits with nonlinear elements (transistors, etc.). There are also nice tables on the different small-signal transistor models (T and Pi) and how they are related. I like this better than the book I had to buy for my class ~20 years ago (Millman and Grabel). This is one MONSTER book though - the thoroughness means that there is no shortage of pages or weight!

jason

Its my favorite book on microelectronics, very comprehensive, time demanding but very rewarding. It covers every aspect relevant to VLSI circuits.
A must for every EE major in my opinion.

This book is definitely worth the money - packed with information. Only flaw it had, in my opinion, was the lack of mathematical proofs. Often it would jump from one point in an equation, to another point without showing really how it got there.

The only frustrating thing for me was that sometimes the "rule of thumb" used in this book for designing a given component was different than the "rule of thumb" used by my instructor, but it was definitely a very good (and monstrous) book that helped me with two separate classes (both analog and digital transistor circuits).

Related to Microelectronic Circuits by Adel S. Sedra

1. What is the main focus of "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra?

The main focus of "Microelectronic Circuits" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of microelectronic circuits and their applications. The book covers topics such as device models, circuit analysis techniques, and frequency response of circuits.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of microelectronics?

Yes, "Microelectronic Circuits" is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and concise introduction to the subject. The book also includes numerous examples and practice problems to help readers understand the concepts and apply them to real-world scenarios.

3. Are there any notable updates or revisions in the latest edition of the book?

Yes, the latest edition of "Microelectronic Circuits" includes updates on the latest technologies and advancements in the field of microelectronics. It also provides a new chapter on integrated circuit fabrication and an expanded discussion on MOSFETs.

4. Can this book be used for self-study or is it more suitable for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It is written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it suitable for self-paced learning. However, it also includes exercises and projects that can be used for classroom teaching.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Microelectronic Circuits"?

Some basic knowledge of circuit theory and electronic devices is recommended for understanding the concepts in this book. However, the book also includes a review of basic topics in the first few chapters, making it accessible to readers with varying levels of prior knowledge.