Micrometeorites and Karman effect

• A
  • Thread starter Arac15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about collecting micrometeorites (MM). The speaker has noticed that glassy MM have tails, which they believe is due to their fast movement and heating causing the top layer silicon to melt and lag behind. They have also observed that smaller globules have twisted tails, which they think is caused by Karman vortex when the particles move quickly. The speaker is looking for a way to calculate the velocity of the globules when instability occurs, and notes that globules with no tail have an average diameter of 0.1 mm while those with twisted tails have an oval form and a diameter of 0.05 mm. They also mention a website for more information.
Arac15
Micro meteorites

I am collecting micrometeorites (MM).

An observation is that glassy MM show tails.
I think this is because they are moving fast, and are heated, and the top layer silicon melts and lag behind.

A second observation is that smaller globules have twisted tails.
I think that it is caused by Karman vortex when these particles are moving very fast.

My question is, can anybody give me the way to calculate the velocity of the globules when instability occurs.
As an indication; globules with no tail have a average diameter of 0.1 mm.
The globules with twisted tails have a oval form and have a diameter of about 0.05mm.
Michiel
parac.eu

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Arac15 said:
Micro meteorites

I am collecting micrometeorites (MM).

An observation is that glassy MM show tails.
I think this is because they are moving fast, and are heated, and the top layer silicon melts and lag behind.

A second observation is that smaller globules have twisted tails.
I think that it is caused by Karman vortex when these particles are moving very fast.

My question is, can anybody give me the way to calculate the velocity of the globules when instability occurs.
As an indication; globules with no tail have a average diameter of 0.1 mm.
The globules with twisted tails have a oval form and have a diameter of about 0.05mm.
Michiel
parac.eu
What do you mean by "collecting"? Are you collecting pictures, or somehow collecting the MMs themselves?

Also, can you link to some pictures of what you are describing, and maybe link to some web pages with more information about the behavior of MMs?

FAQ: Micrometeorites and Karman effect

1. What are micrometeorites?

Micrometeorites are tiny particles of dust and debris that enter Earth's atmosphere from outer space. They are usually less than 2 millimeters in diameter and are often fragments of comets or asteroids that have broken apart.

2. How are micrometeorites different from regular meteorites?

The main difference between micrometeorites and regular meteorites is their size. Micrometeorites are much smaller than meteorites and are usually not large enough to cause significant damage upon impact with Earth's surface. Additionally, micrometeorites are often fragments of comets or asteroids, while meteorites can come from a variety of sources.

3. What is the Karman effect?

The Karman effect, also known as the Von Karman effect, is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a fluid or gas flows around a solid object. It causes vortices, or swirling patterns, to form in the wake of the object. This effect is important in the study of aerodynamics and is often used to explain the behavior of objects in the atmosphere, such as airplanes and spacecraft.

4. How does the Karman effect relate to micrometeorites?

The Karman effect can affect the trajectory of micrometeorites as they enter Earth's atmosphere. The vortices created by the Karman effect can cause the micrometeorites to spin or change direction, which can ultimately affect where they land on Earth's surface. This effect is important to consider when studying the distribution and impact of micrometeorites on our planet.

5. Why are micrometeorites important to study?

Studying micrometeorites can provide valuable information about the composition and history of our solar system. By analyzing the chemical and mineral makeup of micrometeorites, scientists can learn more about the formation and evolution of planets, comets, and other celestial bodies. Micrometeorites can also have implications for space travel and the potential hazards of objects entering Earth's atmosphere.