Might be a string theory Question

In Summary, The author seeks to understand how string theory may be related to vibrations at the subatomic level. He discusses how some M-theory results for brane tension may be derived from Olchinski’s formula for D-brane tension.
fusaliker
Firstly i am under educated in physics, that said i have a great interest in physics, this interest sends me a drift with many questions. As many questions in philosophy i seek to start at the beginning and develop a theory from there (or at least what i thin k is the beginning).

For "existence" i believe that this would be finding the smallest or initial building block of "everything". Not knowing much if anything about string theory, i do not know if i am having original thought.

As of late, i have been thinking that everything must be comprised of vibration or a frequency that this movement no matter how slight causes "everything". Wasn't it Einstein said everything exists in a place and at a time? i question (not that i compare to him), Does it not also have to move, vibrate, even at the smallest amounts. Is this kinda the track of string theory?

So, here is my real question(s)
Does string theory posit, that vibrations and or the frequency of them are responsible for everything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
String theory works kind of like that yeah, but we don't know how things work out exactly or even if they can in it's model quite yet. Also, there are other non-local effects going on and there is no string or vibration analogue as far as I know.

If your interested in philosophy, you could look into the various interpretations of quantum mechanics and some of the far out ideas relating to string theory.

Thank you and yes i am interested in many forms of thought. My research into string theory has yelled little as far as what i am postulating. it is my belief that everything vibrates or has some form of motion at some level in order to exist in our reality. if there were Zero Motion that would be the definition of non existence.

Crude example would be temperature, the lower the temperature the less movement there is in any given material. thus the temperature is related to the vibration and/or vise verse. Radioactivity, light, sound, even people, etc. all are manifest vibrations. (just a thought from and under educated person)

I just do not know how far "M" Theory, has come to explain vibration or harmonics at the sub atomic level. But is my perception that it has everything to do with it.

if anyone knows of any research into a related study please feel free to give me direction.

ty, Seeking Knowledge

Here's a paper on brane tension and M-theory. Perhaps it can help you fine tune your line of thought. It covers fundamental string tension right in the first paragraph.
It also shows how some M-theory results for brane tension can be derived from Olchinski’s formula for D-brane tension.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9607011v4

FAQ: Might be a string theory Question

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity by positing that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

How does string theory differ from other theories of physics?

Unlike other theories of physics, string theory suggests that the universe is made up of tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies, rather than particles. It also attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into a single framework.

Is string theory a proven theory?

No, string theory is still considered a theoretical framework and has not yet been proven through experimentation. However, it has been influential in the development of other theories and has shown promise in solving some long-standing problems in physics.

What are the potential implications of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be correct, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and lead to major advancements in technology and our ability to manipulate the physical world. It could also help us to understand the origins of the universe and potentially lead to a unified theory of physics.

What are some criticisms of string theory?

Some scientists have criticized string theory for being too complex and not making testable predictions. Others argue that it is too abstract and detached from empirical evidence. Additionally, there is currently no way to experimentally test the theory, making it difficult to prove or disprove.