Milky Way Composite: Vacation Night Photo

The photo consists of long exposures with a burst of shorter exposures stacked in the middle. Unfortunately, the humidity caused some haze that he had trouble removing. He also took a 7-image panorama with his 85mm lens. Dave enjoys creating composites for artistic purposes and recently purchased a new ultra wide angle lens to use for Milky Way photos. In summary, Dave shared his recent photography experiences and techniques, including a composite photo and a panorama, as well as his plans for future photos using a new lens.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Just got back from vacation on the beach, there was one clear night which I used to do this (15mm lens):

Result%20of%20trails_RGB_zpsewzadhb7.jpg

It's a composite (duh..) of long exposures for the trails (about 4 minutes each, ISO 800), with a burst of 13-second ISO 2000 images in the middle which are stacked. The humidity created a ton of haze which I was only partially successful in removing. The trial along the bottom is someone carrying a flashlight.

It's not quite as good as I hoped to achieve, but it's good enough for now.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, jim mcnamara, Drakkith and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
And here's a 7-image panorama, taken with my 85mm. The original is 10k x 10k pixels.

85mm_blended_fused_1_zpsxl2jwhu0.jpg

Likes Drakkith and davenn
I like composites ... great for some artistic fun :smile:

I bought a Samyang 14mm ultra wide angle lens last weekend. Just awaiting full Moon to be over and gone and then get out and do some Milky Way pixDave

Related to Milky Way Composite: Vacation Night Photo

1. What is a Milky Way Composite?

A Milky Way Composite is a photograph that combines multiple images of the Milky Way galaxy taken at different times and locations to create a single, high-quality image.

2. How is a Milky Way Composite created?

To create a Milky Way Composite, the photographer takes multiple long-exposure images of the Milky Way, each with a different foreground and composition. These images are then merged using photo editing software to create a single, seamless image.

3. What equipment is needed to capture a Milky Way Composite?

Capturing a Milky Way Composite requires a DSLR camera with manual settings, a wide-angle lens, and a sturdy tripod. Other optional equipment includes a remote shutter release, star tracker, and light pollution filter.

4. Where is the best place to capture a Milky Way Composite?

The best place to capture a Milky Way Composite is in a location with little to no light pollution, such as a remote area or a designated dark sky park. It's also important to choose a location with a clear view of the night sky and interesting foreground elements.

5. Do I need to have a lot of photography experience to capture a Milky Way Composite?

While some photography experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a lot of experience to capture a Milky Way Composite. There are many tutorials and resources available online to help beginners learn the techniques and settings needed to capture a stunning Milky Way image.