Is the Milky Way Visible with a New Wide-Angle Lens in Sydney's Night Sky?

In summary, Dave shared a picture taken with his Samyang 14mm ultra wide angle lens on his Canon 5D Mk3, using 3200 ISO, 14mm f/l, f2.8, and a 20 second exposure. He traveled outside of Sydney to avoid city lights and get a clear view to the southwest. He also mentioned annotating the image to help others with orientation. He was impressed with the lens's color rendition and minimal aberration. One commenter also complimented the image and asked about the exposure length, which Dave clarified was 20 seconds. Another asked if it was a stacked or single exposure, to which Dave replied it was a single 20 second exposure.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
finally got a chance to get out and try out my relatively new Samyang 14mm ultra wide angle lens

this is using the Canon 5D Mk3, 3200 ISO, 14mm f/l, f2.8, 20 sec exp. The view is to the SW
I traveled for about 40 minutes to get south of Sydney and away from the main city lights and their skyglow

2015_09_11_4207sm.jpg
cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes Hugom42, HomogenousCow, Andy Resnick and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Great picture Dave. I always get a little envious when I see sky pictures like this. :smile:

Likes davenn
Thanks mate :)
OK over last 30 mins or so just been annotating that image to point out a few things to help people with orientation

2015_09_11_4207sm annot.JPG

I'm quite impressed with this Samyang 14mm lens, it produces a nice colour rendition and with
very little aberration, colour or spherical around the edges of the image. Cant say the same for the my Canon EF 50mm f1.4 ... the spherical aberration around the edges was quite badDave

Nice pic, Dave. Thanks for posting.

Likes davenn
Nice. How long was the exposure?

Likes davenn
tfr000 said:
Nice. How long was the exposure?

ohhh sorry for that ... didn't notice that I hadn't added it, its there now ... 20 sec :smile:
any longer and I would have started to get star trailing

stacked or single exposure?

Chronos said:
stacked or single exposure?

single 20 sec exp :smile:

Related to Is the Milky Way Visible with a New Wide-Angle Lens in Sydney's Night Sky?

1. What is the Milky Way?

The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy that contains our solar system. It is composed of billions of stars, including our sun, and is estimated to be about 100,000 light-years in diameter.

2. What is a new lens and how does it affect the Milky Way pic?

A new lens is a type of camera lens that has been recently developed or released. It can have various effects on a Milky Way pic, such as improving the quality, clarity, or field of view of the image.

3. How is the Milky Way pic captured?

The Milky Way pic is typically captured using a DSLR camera on a tripod, with a long exposure time of at least 15-30 seconds. The camera is pointed towards the night sky, away from light pollution, and the lens is adjusted to a wide aperture to capture as much light as possible.

4. Why is the Milky Way pic with a new lens significant?

A Milky Way pic with a new lens can be significant because it may reveal new details or features of the galaxy that were not previously visible. It also allows for a different perspective or composition of the image, making it unique and visually appealing.

5. Can anyone take a Milky Way pic with a new lens?

Yes, anyone with a DSLR camera and a new lens can take a Milky Way pic. However, it is important to have some knowledge and experience in astrophotography techniques, as well as finding a suitable location with minimal light pollution and clear weather conditions for the best results.

Back