Min Angle Projectile questions

In summary: ThanksR2 = Sh2 + Sv2 is not as difficult to deal with as it might at first appear to be. R2 is a degree 4 polynomial in t, but the constant term and the linear term are bot zero. Its derivative is a cubic polynomial in t, with a constant term of 0, so that one of the zeros is t=0, and you can use the quadratic formula for the other two zeros.All that is needed is that the derivative is never zero, except perhaps at t = 0. Simply check the discriminant to determine those conditions.
Hashiramasenju

Homework Statement

whats the minimum angles to the vertical(theta) for a projectile(ball) to be realeased with speed v such that at any point of time the distance to the ball is increasing.

Homework Equations

Sh=vtsin(theta)
Sv=vtcos(theta)-0.5gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so i used pythagoras theorum to find the square of the distance to the projectile(R). thus d(R^2)/dt>0 because the distance to the ball from the origin(start point) must be increasing. But the algebra gets really nasty. Is there any alternative way or is there any error in my method
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's pretty much it. You probably need a table of trig substitutions.
Don't forget you only need dR/dt > 0 for 0 < t < T (time of flight)... in fact, if R decreases at all, which part of the trajectory will that happen?

There are other methods... ie you can guess some values and look for a pattern, you can try using your understanding of parabolas to narrow your choice, use graphing software... etc.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Don't forget you only need dR/dt > 0 for 0 < t < T (time of flight)... in fact, if R decreases at all, which part of the trajectory will that happen?

There are other methods... ie you can guess some values and look for a pattern, you can try using your understanding of parabolas to narrow your choice, use graphing software... etc.
Btw is the answer 45 deg

Simon Bridge said:

So is the answer 45 deg and 35.26

The question only requires one number for the answer.
I don't know the correct answer off the top of my head.

Hashiramasenju said:
So is the answer 45 deg and 35.26
I get something a bit less than 20° .

Likes azizlwl
SammyS said:
I get something a bit less than 20° .
How did you get that ?

Hashiramasenju said:
How did you get that ?
I did what you set up as follows.
Hashiramasenju said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so i used pythagoras theorum to find the square of the distance to the projectile(R). thus d(R^2)/dt>0 because the distance to the ball from the origin(start point) must be increasing. But the algebra gets really nasty. Is there any alternative way or is there any error in my method
Thanks
R2 = Sh2 + Sv2 is not as difficult to deal with as it might at first appear to be. R2 is a degree 4 polynomial in t, but the constant term and the linear term are bot zero. Its derivative is a cubic polynomial in t, with a constant term of 0, so that one of the zeros is t=0, and you can use the quadratic formula for the other two zeros.

All that is needed is that the derivative is never zero, except perhaps at t = 0. Simply check the discriminant to determine those conditions.

Related to Min Angle Projectile questions

1. What is a minimum angle projectile?

A minimum angle projectile is a type of projectile motion in which the initial angle of projection is set to the minimum angle at which the projectile will still reach a given distance. This angle is dependent on the initial velocity and gravitational acceleration.

2. How is the minimum angle calculated?

The minimum angle can be calculated using the equation θ = tan^-1(2h/gv^2), where θ is the minimum angle, h is the vertical displacement, g is the gravitational acceleration, and v is the initial velocity.

3. What is the significance of the minimum angle in projectile motion?

The minimum angle is significant because it represents the angle at which the projectile will travel the furthest distance. Any angle lower than the minimum angle will result in the projectile falling short of the desired distance.

4. How does air resistance affect the minimum angle in projectile motion?

Air resistance has a minimal effect on the minimum angle in projectile motion. However, as air resistance increases, the minimum angle may increase slightly due to the decrease in the projectile's initial velocity.

5. Can the minimum angle be negative?

No, the minimum angle cannot be negative. It represents the angle at which the projectile will still reach a given distance, and a negative angle would result in the projectile traveling in the opposite direction.