Min of an Integral lagrange multipliers for E-L

In summary, the minimum value of \(\int_0^1y^{'2}dx\) is \(2\pi^2n^2\), where \(n\) is the solution to the Euler-Lagrange equation, \(y\lambda + y'' = 0\). This equation can be solved to give the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator, \(y(x) = A\cos\left(x\sqrt{\lambda}\right) + B\sin\left(x\sqrt{\lambda}\right)\). The boundary conditions, \(y(0) = y(1) = 0\), lead to the solutions \(y_n(x) = 2\sin\big(\pi n x\big
Dustinsfl
Find the minimum value of \(\int_0^1y^{'2}dx\) subject to the conditions \(y(0) = y(1) = 0\) and \(\int_0^1y^2dx = 1\).

Let \(f = y^{'2}\) and \(h = y^2\).
Then
\begin{align*}
G[y(x)] &= \int_0^1[f - \lambda h]dx\\
&= \int_0^1\left[y^{'2} - \lambda y^2\right]dx
\end{align*}
The Euler-Lagrange equation is then
\begin{align*}
-2y\lambda - \frac{d}{dx}\left(2y'\right) &= 0\\
y\lambda + y'' &= 0
\end{align*}
We have the equation for a simple harmonic oscillators,
\(y(x) = A\cos\left(x\sqrt{\lambda}\right) +
B\sin\left(x\sqrt{\lambda}\right)\).
\begin{alignat*}{3}
y(0) &= A &{}= 0\\
y(1) &= B\sin\big(\sqrt{\lambda}\big) &{}= 0\\
\sin\big(\sqrt{\lambda_n}\big) &= 0\\
\lambda_n &= \pi^2n^2 &&\quad (\text{where \(n\in\mathbb{Z}\).})
\end{alignat*}
So our equation is \(y_n(x) = B\sin\big(\pi nx\big)\).
We can now use our constraint integral.
\begin{align*}
\int_0^1B\sin^2\big(\pi nx\big)dx &= 1\\
\frac{B}{2}\int_0^1(1 - \cos\big(2\pi nx\big))dx &=
\frac{B}{2}\left[x - \frac{1}{\pi n}\sin\big(2\pi n x\big)\right|_0^1\\
B &= 2
\end{align*}
Therefore, our equation is \(y_n(x) = 2\sin\big(\pi n x\big)\).

So then the minimum is
\[
\int_0^1y^{'2}dx = 2\pi^2n^2.
\]

Is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perfect question for my revision. Thanks. :)

I did the question before I looked at your solution and I only have a couple of small differences.

I explicitly considered \(\displaystyle \lambda\le 0\) to show that those solutions to the ELE don't satisfy the boundary conditions.

Also at the end you can say that n=1 will give the minimum as n=0 doesn't satisfy the constraint.

So \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2} \sin(\pi x)\) and the minimum value is \(\displaystyle 2\pi^2\).

As I say, I'm just revising this for an exam myself so I'm not an expert.

Edit: I think you forgot to square B when you evaluated the constraint integral.

Last edited:

Related to Min of an Integral lagrange multipliers for E-L

1. What is the significance of the "Min" in an Integral Lagrange Multipliers for E-L?

The "Min" in this context stands for "minimum." It refers to the minimum value of the integral that is being optimized using the Lagrange multiplier method. This minimum value is important because it represents the most optimal solution to the problem, and it is achieved by setting the derivative of the integral equal to zero.

2. How does the Lagrange multiplier method work for optimizing an integral?

The Lagrange multiplier method involves adding a term, known as the Lagrange multiplier, to the original integral. This term takes into account any constraints or conditions that must be satisfied in order to find the optimal solution. The derivative of the modified integral is then set equal to zero, and the resulting equation is solved for the desired variables.

3. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in the Euler-Lagrange equation is to take into account any constraints or conditions that must be satisfied in order to find the optimal solution. These constraints may involve other variables or equations that need to be incorporated into the optimization process.

4. Can the Lagrange multiplier method be used for any type of integral optimization?

Yes, the Lagrange multiplier method can be used for any type of integral optimization, as long as there are constraints or conditions that need to be satisfied in order to find the optimal solution. It is a versatile and powerful tool in the field of optimization and is commonly used in various areas of science and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers in the Euler-Lagrange equation?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers in the Euler-Lagrange equation is that it can only be used for single-variable optimization problems. This means that the constraints or conditions must involve only one variable, and the resulting equation will have only one variable as well. Additionally, the Lagrange multiplier method may not always provide the most efficient solution, so it is important to consider other optimization methods as well.