Mindset before the last attempt of an exam in graduate school

In summary, the speaker is on their third attempt at an exam in graduate school and has one last chance to pass. They are unsure of their mindset before the exam and are considering two options: 1) visualizing themselves passing the exam and 2) not worrying about the result because they have gained enough knowledge in their course. The speaker took a year off from college to work at a mechanic shop to gain practical experience, but still struggled with test anxiety during their first attempt at the exam. They suggest visualizing oneself succeeding and mentally preparing for the exam as helpful techniques, rather than focusing on failure. Ultimately, the key to success is putting in the time and effort to prepare for the exam.
marellasunny
Its my 3rd try at an exam in graduate school. I failed it the 3rd time and now have a last attempt remaining,but this attempt would be a one-on-one viva exam session(oral exam). I don't want to justify how hard I worked because the end result is that I failed. What I would like to ask is about the mindset before the exam. I have 2 recurring thoughts when I pour through my book:

1. I succeed in the exam no matter what. There is no question of failure. (I visualize myself answering every question in the exam and coming out happy).

2. It doesn't matter if I fail or pass,because I have passed every other subject in my graduate course and have gained enough knowledge to start something on my own. (I visualize myself having not succeeded and hard at work on a new project).

Which mindset is better? The 1. that I pass or the 2. that the result doesn't matter?

Some background:

I took a break from college for 1 year and took-up a job in a mechanic shop just to help me visualize the stuff I had in my textbook. So,my prep was great. Its just that I panicked after the 1st question. We have a 2 hour exam to evaluate the entire semester preparation,no midsemesters,no assignments in between the semester. That's the system here and it seems to work as the kids who graduate come-out eventually are on top. The Uni is no.35 in the world.

Physics news on Phys.org
With pressure this big and years of work at stake,its hard to concentrate on the present.

I think the answer varies from person to person.

I know with athletes they say that you're supposed to visualize yourself winning - not just standing on the podium, but going through the actions necessary to win.

With exams, in my experience what helps is to try to put yourself mentally into the exam as much as possible before hand. Go into the exam room and study there if you can. Try to come up with challenges for yourself - and tackle them.

Avoid statements (even mental ones) like "failure is not an option." This is like saying "don't think of a pink elephant." The images of failure or pink elephants come up anyway and your stress levels increase. Instead, use positive language.
- I will be calm and confident.
- I will remember what I've studied.
- The correct answers are attainable.
- I can work through challenges to figure the answers out, just like I have a thousand times before.

Other than that, really the trick is to put the time into preparing.

Thanks

I understand the importance of mindset in achieving success in any task. In this situation, I believe that a combination of both mindsets is ideal. It is important to have a positive mindset and believe in your abilities to succeed in the exam. Visualizing yourself answering every question and coming out happy can help boost your confidence and reduce anxiety.

However, it is also important to acknowledge that failure is a possibility and that it is not the end of the world. The second mindset, where the result doesn't matter as much because you have gained enough knowledge to start something on your own, can help relieve some of the pressure and fear of failure. It can also help you focus on the present moment and do your best without dwelling too much on the outcome.

In addition, it is important to approach the exam with a growth mindset. This means viewing failure as an opportunity to learn and improve, rather than a reflection of your abilities. It seems like you have prepared well for this exam and have gained valuable knowledge, regardless of the outcome. Remember that your worth as a person and a scientist is not determined by one exam.

Lastly, I would suggest incorporating some relaxation techniques before the exam to help reduce stress and improve focus. This could include deep breathing exercises, positive affirmations, or mindfulness practices. Remember to stay calm, believe in yourself, and do your best. Good luck.

FAQ: Mindset before the last attempt of an exam in graduate school

1. What is the best mindset to have before taking a graduate school exam?

The best mindset to have before taking a graduate school exam is one of confidence and determination. Believe in yourself and your abilities, and approach the exam with a positive attitude. Remember that you have worked hard to get to this point and trust that you have the knowledge and skills to do well.

2. How can I maintain a positive mindset during an exam?

To maintain a positive mindset during an exam, it is important to stay focused and avoid getting overwhelmed. Take deep breaths and remind yourself that you are capable of handling the exam. If you encounter a difficult question, don't panic. Move on to the next question and come back to it later. Also, try to stay organized and manage your time effectively to reduce stress.

3. Should I study right up until the last minute before the exam?

No, it is not recommended to study right up until the last minute before an exam. Your brain needs time to rest and process the information you have studied. Instead, take some time to relax and do something you enjoy the night before the exam. This will help you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the exam the next day.

4. How can I overcome test anxiety before an exam?

To overcome test anxiety before an exam, it is important to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. Also, try to visualize yourself successfully completing the exam and achieving your goals. Remind yourself that the exam is just one aspect of your overall academic journey and that your worth is not determined by your performance on this one test.

5. What should I do if I feel like I am not prepared enough for the exam?

If you feel like you are not prepared enough for the exam, try not to panic. Instead, focus on the material you do know and try to make educated guesses on questions you are unsure of. Also, don't be afraid to seek help from your professors or classmates if you need clarification on any topics. Remember to trust in your abilities and do the best you can with the knowledge you have.