Minimal polynomial, transpose, similar

In summary: A with respect to this basis is in rational canonical form. Since the minimal polynomial of A is the same as the minimal polynomial of AT (from part (b)), this means that the matrix representations of A and AT are the same. Therefore, A and AT are similar.In summary, we have proved that if a polynomial f(lambda) has f(A) = 0, then f(AT) = 0. We have also shown that A and AT have the same minimal polynomial, and that if A has a cyclic vector, then AT is similar to A. I hope this helps clarify any doubts you may have had. Let me know if you need further assistance. Best regards.
clg211

Homework Statement

a) Prove that if a polynomial f(lambda) has f(A)=0, then f(AT)=0

b) Prove that A and AT have the same minimal polynomial.

c) If A has a cyclic vector, prove that AT is similar to A.

2. The attempt at a solution

a) I know that I need to show that f(AT) = f(A)T.

b) The main problem is that I don't think I understand completely what the minimal polynomial is. I know how to get the minimal polynomial from the last column of a matrix in rational canonical form, and that's about it.

c) This should be a direct consequence of part (b) since same minimal polynomial --> similar.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with your questions.

a) To prove that f(AT) = f(A)T, we can use the fact that a polynomial function can be written as a linear combination of its powers. In other words, f(lambda) = a0 + a1*lambda + a2*lambda^2 + ... + an*lambda^n. Therefore, we can write f(AT) = a0I + a1*AT + a2*(AT)^2 + ... + an*(AT)^n. Using the property of matrix multiplication, we can rewrite this as f(AT) = a0I + a1*A*T + a2*A^2*T^2 + ... + an*A^n*T^n. Since f(A) = 0, this means that a0I + a1*A + a2*A^2 + ... + an*A^n = 0. Therefore, we can substitute this in the previous equation to get f(AT) = 0 + 0 + 0 + ... + 0 = 0. Hence, f(AT) = f(A)T.

b) The minimal polynomial of a matrix A is the smallest degree polynomial that satisfies p(A) = 0. This means that the minimal polynomial is the polynomial of smallest degree that has A as a root. To prove that A and AT have the same minimal polynomial, we can use the fact that the minimal polynomial is unique for a given matrix. This means that if two matrices have the same minimal polynomial, then they must be equal. To show this, let p(x) be the minimal polynomial of A. Then, we have p(A) = 0. Now, consider p(AT). Using part (a), we can write p(AT) = p(A)T = 0. This means that p(AT) is also a polynomial of degree smaller than or equal to p(x) that has AT as a root. Since the minimal polynomial is unique, this means that p(AT) = p(x). Hence, A and AT have the same minimal polynomial.

c) As you correctly mentioned, this follows directly from part (b). If A has a cyclic vector, this means that there exists a vector v such that the set {v, Av, A^2v, ..., A^(n-1)v} spans the entire vector space. This means that the matrix

Related to Minimal polynomial, transpose, similar

What is the minimal polynomial of a matrix?

The minimal polynomial of a matrix is the monic polynomial of lowest degree that has the matrix as a root. It is unique and an important characteristic of a matrix as it helps determine the matrix's eigenvalues and diagonalizability.

What does it mean for two matrices to be similar?

Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic polynomial and thus the same eigenvalues. This means that they represent the same linear transformation, just with respect to different bases.

Can the transpose of a matrix change its minimal polynomial?

No, the transpose of a matrix does not change its minimal polynomial. This is because the minimal polynomial is dependent on the eigenvalues of the matrix, which remain the same under transpose.

Can a matrix and its transpose be similar?

Yes, a matrix and its transpose can be similar. This happens when the matrix is symmetric, which means it is equal to its transpose.

How is the minimal polynomial related to the diagonalizability of a matrix?

A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if its minimal polynomial is a product of distinct linear factors. In other words, if the minimal polynomial has all its roots distinct, then the matrix is diagonalizable.