Minimizing a directional derivative

In summary, the maximum value of a directional derivative at a point can be determined by finding the magnitude of the gradient of the function at that point. To find the minimum value, the same process can be followed. The gradient is a single vector that represents the rate of change at a point and its direction. The directional derivative is 0 in the direction perpendicular to the gradient, which is a useful property. In the given example, the gradient at (0,0) is <1,1>, and the maximum slope is √2 in the direction of this vector. The gradient is always perpendicular to level curves. To find the vector where the rate of change is 0, the partial derivatives of the function can be used.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I know that you determine maximum value of a directional derivative at a point by finding...

[tex]
|\nabla f(a_0 ,b_0 )|
[/tex]

But how do you find the minimum value?

I'm also kinda wondering exactly what a gradient is. It seems like if you have the gradient equation and a point... all you are getting is a single vector and a single rate of change... doesn't seem all that useful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If going in the direction [itex]\theta[/itex] makes the derivative a maximum, what happens if you go in the exact opposite direction?

... its the opposite and parallel vector isn't it (as in <1,1> is to <-1,-1>) hahaha... oh man... i wonder why my professor made a big fuss about it on our homework assignment then...

By the way- it also follows that the directional derivative is 0 in the direction perpendicular to the gradient. That's useful property: the gradient is always perpendicular to level curves.

Wow that's helpful since I now have to figure out 2 directions where the rate of change is 0 at a certain point. Problem is, I don't remember how to figure out what vector that would be... I have...

[tex]f(p,q) = qe^{ - p} + pe^{ - q} [/tex]

at (0,0)

I got….

[tex]
\nabla f(p,q) = \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial p}}i + \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial q}}j \\ [/tex]
[tex] \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial p}} = e^{ - q} - e^{ - p} q \\ [/tex]
[tex] \frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial q}} = e^{ - p} - e^{ - q} p \\ [/tex]
[tex]\nabla f(p,q) = (e^{ - q} - e^{ - p} q)i + (e^{ - p} - e^{ - q} p)j \\ [/tex]
[tex]\nabla f(0,0) = < 1,1 > \\ [/tex]
[tex] |\nabla f(0,0)| = \sqrt 2 \\
[/tex]

I assume this all means that at (0,0), the maximum slope is a vector of <1,1> with a rate of increase of [tex]\sqrt 2 [/tex]

YES, STUPID LATEX, TAKE THAT! How do you get it to automatically go to a new line without having to tex and /tex after every single line?

So... is my assumption correct or am i missing the point of gradients all together?

Last edited:

Related to Minimizing a directional derivative

1. What is a directional derivative and why is it important to minimize it?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It is important to minimize it because it tells us the direction of steepest descent of the function, which is useful for optimization problems.

2. How do you calculate the directional derivative?

The directional derivative of a function in the direction of a unit vector u is given by the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector: Duf = ∇f ⋅ u.

3. What is the relationship between the directional derivative and the gradient?

The gradient is a vector that contains the partial derivatives of a function with respect to each of its variables. The directional derivative is the rate of change of the function in a specific direction, and it is equal to the dot product of the gradient and the unit vector in that direction.

4. How can minimizing the directional derivative help with optimization?

If we want to find the minimum of a function, we can use the directional derivative to find the direction of steepest descent and then move in that direction to get closer to the minimum. This process can be repeated until the minimum is reached.

5. What are some real-world applications of minimizing the directional derivative?

Minimizing the directional derivative is essential in many fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, it can be used to optimize the design of structures or machines. In physics, it can help in determining the path of a particle or the trajectory of a projectile. In economics, it can be used to find the most efficient way to allocate resources.