Minimum angle required for resolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a radio telescope at Arecibo, Puerto Rico, and its ability to receive and emit radio signals at various frequencies. The question posed is about the minimum angle required for resolution at a frequency of 200 MHz. The equation θmin = (1.22λ)/D is provided, where θmin is the minimum angle required for resolution in radians, λ is the wavelength, and D is the diameter of the aperture. The attempt at a solution involves using this equation, but the correct answer is not obtained. The conversation ends with the suggestion that it could be a significant figures or units problem.
msk172

Homework Statement

The radio telescope at Arecibo, Puerto Rico, has a reflecting spherical bowl of 295 m diameter. Radio signals can be received and emitted at various frequencies with appropriate antennae at the focal point of the reflecting bowl. At a frequency of 200 MHz, what is the angle between two stars that can barely be resolved?

Homework Equations

θmin= (1.22λ)/D

θmin= minimum angle required for resolution (rad)
λ = wavelength
D = diameter of aperture

The Attempt at a Solution

Should be fairly straightforward but I'm getting hung up on what I am sure is something silly. The equation above should be all that is needed. Just do (1.22*1.5)/295 as specified by the problem for θmin (in radians). I know I must be overlooking something simple, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, this one really is that simple :smile:

Heh. Figured as much. I'll keep looking at it, and I'm sure it will come to me eventually. Thanks.

Last edited:
What do you mean "it will come to me eventually"?

(1.22*1.5)/295​

You are just a few calculator keystrokes from having the answer. (In radians)

Well, 1.22 times the wavelength (1.5m) divided by D (295m) should equal θmin in radians, no? That is how I'm interpreting it, at least.

Redbelly98 said:
Yes, exactly.

That's what I thought. System says that's incorrect, though.

Weird. All I can think is it's either a significant figures or units problem. But with radians, expressing no units should be acceptable. I guess you have rechecked the calculation.

Can't think of anything else, but if I do I'll post here again.

Related to Minimum angle required for resolution

What is the minimum angle required for resolution?

The minimum angle required for resolution is the smallest angle between two objects that can be distinguished by an observer or a measuring instrument. It is also known as the minimum resolvable angle.

How is the minimum angle required for resolution calculated?

The minimum angle required for resolution is calculated using the formula θ = 1.22λ/D, where θ is the minimum angle, λ is the wavelength of the light being observed, and D is the diameter of the aperture or lens being used.

What factors can affect the minimum angle required for resolution?

The main factors that can affect the minimum angle required for resolution are the wavelength of the light, the diameter of the aperture or lens, and the quality of the optics being used. Environmental factors such as atmospheric turbulence can also impact the minimum angle required for resolution.

Why is the minimum angle required for resolution important in scientific research?

The minimum angle required for resolution is important in scientific research because it determines the level of detail that can be observed and measured. It also helps scientists determine the limits of their instruments and the accuracy of their observations.

Can the minimum angle required for resolution be improved?

Yes, the minimum angle required for resolution can be improved by using better quality optics, increasing the diameter of the aperture or lens, or using shorter wavelengths of light. However, there is a physical limit to the minimum angle required for resolution, known as the diffraction limit.