Minimum Diameter for Steel Wire: Solve It Now

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum diameter of a circular steel wire that is 1.91m long and can only stretch a maximum of 0.0024m when a tensile force of 450N is applied to each end. The equation used is p=F/dA and the attempt at a solution involves using the volume and length of the wire, but it is suggested to look at Young's Modulus. The correct answer is not 2.1mm.
asleight

Homework Statement

A circular steel wire 1.91m long must stretch no more than 0.0024m when a tensile force of 450N is applied to each end of the wire.

What minimum diameter is required for the wire?

Homework Equations

[tex]p=\frac{F}{\Delta A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to solve for this at all. I've tried applying a volume to this exercise:

[tex]A=V/l[/tex], where l is the length, then [tex]dA=\sqrt{dV/l-Vdl/l^2}[/tex]...

[tex]p=\frac{F}{\Delta A}=\frac{F}{\sqrt{dV/l-Vdl/l^2}}[/tex]. This didn't work, as far as I remember...

Physics news on Phys.org
asleight said:

Homework Statement

A circular steel wire 1.91m long must stretch no more than 0.0024m when a tensile force of 450N is applied to each end of the wire.

What minimum diameter is required for the wire?

Homework Equations

[tex]p=\frac{F}{\Delta A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to solve for this at all. I've tried applying a volume to this exercise:

[tex]A=V/l[/tex], where l is the length, then [tex]dA=\sqrt{dV/l-Vdl/l^2}[/tex]...

[tex]p=\frac{F}{\Delta A}=\frac{F}{\sqrt{dV/l-Vdl/l^2}}[/tex]. This didn't work, as far as I remember...

Perhaps you want to look at Young's Modulus for the wire?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/permot3.html#c2

I solved and got 2.1mm...

It's not correct.

asleight said:
I solved and got 2.1mm...

It's not correct.

It's not what I got either.

Maybe re-check your numbers?

Related to Minimum Diameter for Steel Wire: Solve It Now

1. What is the minimum diameter for steel wire?

The minimum diameter for steel wire is determined by the material's strength and the application it will be used for. It is typically expressed in millimeters or inches.

2. How do you calculate the minimum diameter for steel wire?

The minimum diameter for steel wire can be calculated using the formula: D = S x L / F, where D is the minimum diameter, S is the tensile strength of the steel wire, L is the maximum load that the wire will be subjected to, and F is the factor of safety.

3. What factors affect the minimum diameter for steel wire?

The factors that affect the minimum diameter for steel wire include the material's strength, the maximum load it will be subjected to, the factor of safety, and the desired level of flexibility or stiffness in the wire.

4. What is the importance of determining the minimum diameter for steel wire?

Determining the minimum diameter for steel wire is essential in ensuring the wire can withstand the intended load and maintain its structural integrity. It also helps in selecting the appropriate size and type of wire for a specific application, preventing potential failures or accidents.

5. Can the minimum diameter for steel wire be customized for different applications?

Yes, the minimum diameter for steel wire can be customized for different applications based on the specific requirements and conditions. This can include varying the material, strength, and factor of safety to meet the needs of the application.