Minimum distance from a repulsive central force

In summary, the problem involves a particle of mass m moving under the influence of a repulsive central force with constant C. Using conservation of energy and angular momentum, it can be shown that the closest the particle comes to the center of force is at a distance of rmin = √(b^2 + C/2K), where b is the impact parameter and K is the kinetic energy at a very large distance from the center of force. The potential energy function for this force is V(r) = -3C/r^2. By integrating this force from rmin to b, the solution can be obtained.
gcfve

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves under action of a repulsive central force Fr=Cr-3 with constant C greater than 0. At a very large distance from the centre of the force, the partcle has kinetic energy K and its impact parameter is b. Use conservation of energy and angular momentum to show that the closest m comes to the centre of force is rmin=[tex]\sqrt{b^2+ C/2K}[/tex]

Homework Equations

L=mbv0
E=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mvr2+L2/2mr2+V(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I said that since the object is far away its total energy is K
I think V(r) = -3C/r2, but I'm not sure.
And at rmin, E==[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mvrmin2+(mbv)2/2mr2-3C/rmin2

I don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
PHY2333...Assignment is due tomorrow... Still can't get this either. Where do you get -3C/r^2 for V(r)? Would it not be -0.5C/r^2?

Yeah, I still don't know how to get it.

oops wrong topic

Last edited:
Take Force integrate from rmin to b, as when r is infinity, it will approximately equal to be, because it is essentially uneffected by the force anyway. this integration will give you the answer. I know its not using angular momentum, but I don't care at this point.

Related to Minimum distance from a repulsive central force

1. What is a repulsive central force?

A repulsive central force is a type of force that pushes objects away from a central point. It is the opposite of an attractive central force, which pulls objects towards a central point.

2. Why is the minimum distance from a repulsive central force important?

The minimum distance from a repulsive central force is important because it represents the closest distance that an object can get to the central point without being pushed away. This distance is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects under the influence of repulsive central forces.

3. How is the minimum distance from a repulsive central force calculated?

The minimum distance from a repulsive central force can be calculated using the equation r = a/√(2μ/E), where r is the minimum distance, a is the distance between the object and the central point at the beginning of its motion, μ is the reduced mass of the object, and E is the total energy of the object.

4. What are some examples of repulsive central forces?

Some examples of repulsive central forces include electrostatic repulsion between two like charges, nuclear repulsion between two positively charged nuclei, and repulsion between two magnets with the same polarity.

5. How does the minimum distance from a repulsive central force affect the trajectory of an object?

The minimum distance from a repulsive central force can greatly affect the trajectory of an object. If the object is unable to reach the minimum distance, it will continue to move away from the central point. However, if the object is able to reach the minimum distance, it will then begin to move back towards the central point and its trajectory will be altered accordingly.