Minimum Energy Of A Beta Particle

In summary, the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electron in the decay of Ne (Z=10) to Na (Z=11) can be found by using the conservation of momentum and energy equations. The minimum energy of the electron is dependent on the amount of energy emitted, with the possibility of it being 0 if all of the extra energy is converted to heat. The energy of the neutrino is expected to be very small, approaching 0 as the mass of the neutrino approaches 0.
kkrizka

Homework Statement

When Ne (Z=10) decays to Na (Z=11), what is the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electron? What is the minimum energy? What is the energy of the neutrino in each case? Ignore recoil of the daughter nucleus.

Homework Equations

[tex]E = mc^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The following is the decay:
[tex]^{23}_{10} Ne \rightarrow ^{23}_{11} Na + \beta ^- + n + Q[/tex]

I know that there will be extra energy, Q, emitted in the decay and I know I can find it using the difference in mass between the products and initial particles. Now I'm assuming that this energy will go towards the kinetic energy of the neutron and the electron. But first, the momentum should be conserved. So:
[tex]m_{\beta} v_{\beta} = m_n v_n[/tex] or [tex]v_n = \frac{m_{\beta}}{m_n} v_{\beta}[/tex]

Then I can use this together with the energy equation:
[tex]\frac{m_{\beta} v_{\beta}^2}{2} + \frac{m_n v_n^2}{2} = Q[/tex]
[tex]\frac{m_{\beta} v_{\beta}^2}{2} + \frac{m_{\beta}^2 v_{\beta}^2}{ 2 m_n } = Q[/tex]
[tex]\frac{m_{\beta} v_{\beta}^2}{2} = \frac{Q}{( 1 + \frac{m_{\beta}}{m_n} )}[/tex]

So as the mass of the neutrino approaches 0, then the fraction m_\beta / m_n approaches infinity (so 1+ that approaches infinity) and Q divided by a very big number would be about 0.

That is what am I unsure of, is the kinetic energy of the electron really 0 or did I make a mistake somewhere in my assumptions?

My second question concerns the minimum kinetic energy of the electron. Would the minimum KE be when all of Q is heat, so in that case KE=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or would the KE be greater than 0?Finally, what is the energy of the neutrino in each case?Thank you for any help!

Or would there always be some minimum energy required to overcome the binding energy of the nucleus and release the electron?

I would like to clarify a few points about the concept of minimum energy of a beta particle. First, it is important to understand that the energy of a beta particle is not fixed, but rather has a range of values. This range is determined by the conservation of energy and momentum in the decay process, as you have correctly stated in your solution attempt.

However, the minimum energy of a beta particle is not 0. This is because there is always a minimum amount of energy required to overcome the binding energy of the nucleus and release the beta particle. This energy is known as the Q-value of the decay, and as you have correctly pointed out, it is determined by the difference in mass between the initial and final particles.

In the case of the Ne (Z=10) decaying to Na (Z=11), the Q-value can be calculated as follows:
Q = (m_{Ne}-m_{Na}-m_{e})c^2
= (23.0179 u - 23.0059 u - 0.000549 u) (931.5 MeV/u)
= 0.01135 u (931.5 MeV/u)
= 10.56 MeV

This means that the minimum energy of the beta particle in this decay process is 10.56 MeV. However, as you have correctly stated, the maximum kinetic energy of the beta particle is not equal to the Q-value. This is because some of the energy is also given to the neutrino in the decay process.

In conclusion, the minimum energy of a beta particle is not 0, but rather is determined by the Q-value of the decay process. The maximum kinetic energy of the beta particle is also not equal to the Q-value, but rather is determined by the conservation of energy and momentum in the decay process. The energy of the neutrino in each case can be calculated by subtracting the kinetic energy of the beta particle from the Q-value. I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps with your solution.

Related to Minimum Energy Of A Beta Particle

What is the minimum energy of a beta particle?

The minimum energy of a beta particle refers to the minimum amount of energy that is required for a beta particle to be emitted from a radioactive nucleus. This energy is dependent on the type of beta decay and the specific nucleus involved.

How is the minimum energy of a beta particle calculated?

The minimum energy of a beta particle can be calculated using the Q value, which is the difference in energy between the initial and final states of the nucleus undergoing beta decay. This value is determined by the mass difference between the parent and daughter nuclei, as well as the energy released in the form of a neutrino.

Why is the minimum energy of a beta particle important?

The minimum energy of a beta particle is important because it determines the range and speed of the emitted beta particle. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of radioactive materials and their potential effects on biological systems.

How does the minimum energy of a beta particle affect the stability of a nucleus?

The minimum energy of a beta particle is directly related to the stability of a nucleus. A nucleus with a lower Q value and therefore a lower minimum beta particle energy is more likely to undergo beta decay, making it less stable than a nucleus with a higher Q value and minimum beta particle energy.

Can the minimum energy of a beta particle be measured experimentally?

Yes, the minimum energy of a beta particle can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as beta spectrometry or electron capture spectroscopy. These methods involve detecting and measuring the energy of the emitted beta particles to determine the minimum energy of a specific type of beta decay.