Minimum resistance to prevent overheating in AC circuit

In summary, there was a discrepancy between the student's calculation and the answer key for a given problem involving resistance. While the student's calculation resulted in a resistance of 8.2 ohms, the answer key used a different value for current, which led to a different answer. It is unclear why the answer key did not use the correct value for current, but it is possible that it was a mistake. It is recommended to consult with the instructor or check for errata on the book publisher's website for clarification on the issue.
songoku
Homework Statement
An alternating current supply is connected in series with a resistor R. The variation with time t (measured in seconds) of the current I (measured in amps) in the resistor is given by the expression I = 9.9 sin(380t). To prevent over-heating, the mean power dissipated in resistor R must not exceed 400 W. Calculate the minimum resistance of R
Relevant Equations
mean power = ##I_{rms}^2 \times R##
My calculation: ##400=\left(\frac{9.9}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2 R## and I got R = 8.2 ohm

But the answer key used Io (9.9 A) instead of Irms

Why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct(8.2Ω). It's a mistake in the 'answer key' - it sometimes happens.

Likes songoku and scottdave
It would only be speculation on my part as to "why" they did not use RMS current. Books make mistakes sometimes. Did you ask your instructor about it? Does the book publisher have a website for errata?

Likes songoku
scottdave said:
It would only be speculation on my part as to "why" they did not use RMS current. Books make mistakes sometimes. Did you ask your instructor about it? Does the book publisher have a website for errata?
I haven't asked him, I just did the practice myself. The question is not from book, it is given by the teacher and on the last page there is working and answer to help the students.

Thank you very much for the help Steve4Physics and scottdave

Likes Steve4Physics

Related to Minimum resistance to prevent overheating in AC circuit

What is the minimum resistance required to prevent overheating in an AC circuit?

The minimum resistance required to prevent overheating in an AC circuit depends on the voltage and current ratings of the circuit, as well as the power dissipation capabilities of the components involved. Generally, you need to ensure that the power dissipated (P = I²R) does not exceed the thermal limits of the components. Calculations specific to your circuit's parameters are necessary to determine the exact minimum resistance.

How do I calculate the minimum resistance needed to prevent overheating in an AC circuit?

To calculate the minimum resistance, you need to know the maximum current (I_max) that the circuit can safely handle without overheating. Using Ohm's Law (V = IR) and the power dissipation formula (P = I²R), you can rearrange the formulas to find R_min = V_max / I_max, ensuring that the power dissipation does not exceed the thermal limits of the components.

What factors influence the minimum resistance required in an AC circuit?

Several factors influence the minimum resistance required in an AC circuit, including the voltage and current ratings, the thermal characteristics of the components, the ambient temperature, the frequency of the AC signal, and the type of load (resistive, inductive, or capacitive). Proper consideration of these factors is essential to prevent overheating.

Can using a higher resistance than the minimum required help in preventing overheating?

Yes, using a higher resistance than the minimum required can help in preventing overheating by reducing the current flow and, consequently, the power dissipation. However, it is important to balance this with the circuit's performance requirements, as excessive resistance can affect the functionality of the circuit.

What are the signs that a circuit is overheating due to insufficient resistance?

Signs that a circuit is overheating due to insufficient resistance include components becoming excessively hot to the touch, discoloration or burning smells, visible damage to components, erratic circuit behavior, and, in severe cases, smoke or fire. Monitoring the temperature and performance of the circuit can help in early detection and prevention of overheating issues.

Back