Minimum speed (~V3N0M~'s question at Yahoo Answers)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum Speed
In summary, the position function of a particle is given by r(t)=<−3t^2, −2t, t^2+4t>. The speed of the particle has a minimum at t = -1/5. There is a debate about whether t can be negative in this context, with some arguing that it is arbitrary and others arguing that it can have physical significance. Ultimately, the answer may depend on the specific context and interpretation of the problem.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello ~V3N0M~,

We have $r'(t)=(-6t,-2,2t+4)$ so, $$|r'(t)|=\sqrt{(-6t)^2+(-2)^2+(2t+4)^2}=\sqrt{40t^2+16t+20}$$ Then, $$\frac{d}{dt}\left(|r'(t)|\right)=\frac{80t+16}{2\sqrt{40t^2+16t+20}}=\frac{8(5t+1)}{\sqrt{40t^2+16t+20}}=0\Leftrightarrow t=-\frac{1}{5}$$ If $t<-1/5$ then $\frac{d}{dt}\left(|r'(t)|\right)<0$ and if $t>-1/5$ then $\frac{d}{dt}\left(|r'(t)|\right)>0$. This implies that the speed has an strict absolute minimum at $t=-1/5$.

Just my two cents.

Fernando's solution is, of course, correct. But I've never come across a Mechanics problem where the time was negative. This has me wondering whether the correct answer to this problem is when t = 0 s.

-Dan

It is natural consider $t\in (-\infty,+\infty)$, think (for example) about some interpretations of the orbits in the phase space as $t\to +\infty$ and as $t\to -\infty$.

Fernando Revilla said:
It is natural consider $t\in (-\infty,+\infty)$, think (for example) about some interpretations of the orbits in the phase space as $t\to +\infty$ and as $t\to -\infty$.

You seem to have missed topsquark's point entirely, which is that the question asks "At what TIME is the speed at its minimum?" which implies that we are using t to represent time. Topsquark has said it does not make sense to include negative values for t in this case as there is no such thing as negative time.

Prove It said:
You seem to have missed topsquark's point entirely, which is that the question asks "At what TIME is the speed at its minimum?" which implies that we are using t to represent time. Topsquark has said it does not make sense to include negative values for t in this case as there is no such thing as negative time.

I am astonished. I can't explain you such a trivial thing.

Last edited:
Fernando Revilla said:
I am astonished.

In a good way I hope :P

Prove It said:
In a good way I hope :P

Sorry, you have no idea of this subjet. Browse on the net and you'll find a non denumerable cardinal of references. A good begining: Dynamic Systems.

Both Fernando and I have good points. I had presumed that the OP's question was of a lower level of Physics and thus my response is probably correct. However if the question is of a higher level then Fernando's response is more likely to be correct. And upon reflection, this question probably came from a Calculus class as opposed to Physics. In this case I'd lean toward Fernando's answer.

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
topsquark said:
Just my two cents.

Fernando's solution is, of course, correct. But I've never come across a Mechanics problem where the time was negative. This has me wondering whether the correct answer to this problem is when t = 0 s.

-Dan

Prove It said:

I have seen negative time in mechanics problems. In fact, I'll wager you have as well, although you might not have recognized it.

Suppose a boy throws a ball in the air at an initial $10$ m/s from a height of $1$ m. When will the ball hit the ground, if you ignore air resistance?

Ok, standard problem in kinematics. Set up
$$y=y_{0}+v_{0y}t+\frac{a}{2}t^{2}=1+10t-\frac{9.8}{2}t^{2},$$
and set this equal to zero. Mathematically, you get two solutions: $t=2.14, -0.096$, both in seconds. So, we throw out the negative solution and say the answer is $t=2.14$ seconds. Done.

Or are we? Is there any physical significance to the negative time solution? I claim there is. It's the time at which you would have had to throw the ball from the ground height in order to reach the height of $1$ m at $t=0$ with a velocity of $+10$ m/s.

What's happening here? What's happening is that the time at which you "start the clock" is completely arbitrary. Now, once you've started it, you shouldn't generally restart it, unless you keep careful track of how you're doing so.

Time can be negative in exactly the same way that displacement can be negative. For displacement, it depends on where you put the origin of your meter stick. For time, it depends on when you start the clock.

Here's an alternative problem with the same physics: at $t=-2.136$ seconds, a boy throws a ball in the air at $10$ m/s. Ignoring air resistance, when will the ball hit the ground? The usual kinematic equation won't work here, because it will assume we know the velocity at time $t=0$. So, start from the acceleration and integrate, using initial conditions.
\begin{align*}
a&=-g \\
v&= -gt+C \\
10 &=-9.8(-2.136)+C \\
C&=-10.933 \\
v&= -gt-10.933 \\
y&= -\frac{g}{2} t^{2}-10.933t+C \\
1&= -4.9 (-2.136)^{2}-10.933(-2.136)+C \\
C&=0.0033 \quad \text{This should be zero, but isn't because of rounding.} \\
0&=-\frac{g}{2} t^{2}-10.933t+0.0033 \\
t&=3.018 \times 10^{-4}, -2.23 \; \text{seconds}.
\end{align*}
The first solution is essentially zero, as you'd expect.

In fact, time reversal is a standard topic in high-energy particle physics. It's the T in CPT symmetry.

Last edited:
Ackbach said:
Or are we? Is there any physical significance to the negative time solution? I claim there is.
True, and I've thought about that when I came up with my class notes. On the one hand when teaching Intro Physics (or AP Physics) I find that talking about the negative time aspect usually just confuses them. On the other hand it's fun to bring it up in Advanced Mechanics and let them try to sort it out on their own.

What can I say? I'm evil. (Clapping)

And yes, the use of an anti-Hermitian operator (time reversal) is ubiquitous in QM. But I don't think our OP is quite at that level. (Nerd)

-Dan

Related to Minimum speed (~V3N0M~'s question at Yahoo Answers)

1. What is the concept of minimum speed?

Minimum speed refers to the lowest possible velocity that an object must maintain in order to continue moving forward without slowing down or coming to a stop. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is minimum speed calculated?

Minimum speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is represented by the formula: minimum speed = distance / time.

3. What factors can affect minimum speed?

The factors that can affect minimum speed include the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the friction or resistance the object experiences while moving through a medium (such as air or water).

4. How does minimum speed relate to other concepts in physics?

Minimum speed is closely related to other concepts in physics such as velocity, acceleration, and force. It is also related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law which states that an object will remain in motion at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Can minimum speed ever be zero?

In ideal conditions, minimum speed can be zero if there is no external force acting on the object and there is no resistance or friction. However, in real-world scenarios, it is very difficult to achieve a speed of zero due to various factors such as air resistance, gravity, or other forces.