Minimum velocity at bottom of pendulum

In summary: Really appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum speed of a bob on a pendulum with a rigid rod and small bob attached at one end, in order to complete a full circle. The approach involves considering the energy of the system at the top and bottom positions, using equations for rotational and gravitational potential energy. The correct answer is given as option 1, sqrt [ g*l*(12M+6m)/(3M+m) ].
deep838

Homework Statement

A pendulum is made of a rigid rod (mass m, length l) and a small bob of mass M attached at one end. The rod is pivoted on the other end. What should be the minimum speed of the bob at its lowest point so that the pendulum completes a full circle?

Homework Equations

anything that'll work

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of finding the energy of the system when the bob is at the highest position. It came as E=(M+m/4)v21/2 where v1 is the velocity of the bob at topmost position. Then to get the energy at the bottom position, and then equating the two, this is what I get:
(2M+m)gl + (M+m/4)v21/2 = (M+m/4)v22/2 , where v2 is the velocity of the bob at the bottom position

But then what?

Physics news on Phys.org
deep838 said:

Homework Statement

A pendulum is made of a rigid rod (mass m, length l) and a small bob of mass M attached at one end. The rod is pivoted on the other end. What should be the minimum speed of the bob at its lowest point so that the pendulum completes a full circle?

Homework Equations

anything that'll work

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of finding the energy of the system when the bob is at the highest position. It came as E=(M+m/4)v21/2 where v1 is the velocity of the bob at topmost position. Then to get the energy at the bottom position, and then equating the two, this is what I get:
(2M+m)gl + (M+m/4)v21/2 = (M+m/4)v22/2 , where v2 is the velocity of the bob at the bottom position

But then what?

At the lowest possible speed of the bob at the bottom of the swing that still allows full circle oscillation, the bob and the rod would have lost all kinetic energy at the top of the swing and therefore be at momentary rest. So there's no need to consider KE when bob is at the highest position - it's zero. All kinetic energy has been converted to gravitational PE at the top of the swing.

Curious3141 said:
At the lowest possible speed of the bob at the bottom of the swing that still allows full circle oscillation, the bob and the rod would have lost all kinetic energy at the top of the swing and therefore be at momentary rest. So there's no need to consider KE when bob is at the highest position - it's zero. All kinetic energy has been converted to gravitational PE at the top of the swing.

So then E(top) = 2Mgl+mgl/2 and E(top)=E(bottom)=(M+m/4)v2/2

Solving v=√4gl and this is one of the options in the answer.

Thanks.

deep838 said:
So then E(top) = 2Mgl+mgl/2 and E(top)=E(bottom)=(M+m/4)v2/2

Solving v=√4gl and this is one of the options in the answer.

Thanks.

Your PE equation looks wrong. Remember that the differences in height between the top and bottom are 2l for the bob M and l for the rod m (centre of mass of rod m has moved by height ½*l*2 = l). It's like going from the 6 o' clock to the 12 o' clock position.

Better recheck your working. I couldn't get the mass terms to cancel out.

:P right! But then doing 1/2 * (M+m/4)* v^2 = 2Mgl + mgl gives v=√[8(2M+m)/(4M+m)] that's not an option! am I going wrong somewhere else?

deep838 said:
:P right! But then doing 1/2 * (M+m/4)* v^2 = 2Mgl + mgl gives v=√[8(2M+m)/(4M+m)] that's not an option! am I going wrong somewhere else?

I'm sorry, I think I was on the wrong track.

The conservation equation should be (bottom) rotational KE of rod + translational KE of bob = (top) gravitational PE of rod + gravitational PE of bob.

The rod's moment of inertia ##\displaystyle I## about its end (pivot) is given by ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}ml^2##. Its rotational KE is then ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##, where ##\displaystyle \omega = \frac{v}{L}##, where ##\displaystyle v## is the speed of the bob.

You still can't cancel out the masses, but I think this should be the right approach. The rod is not a point mass, and rotational kinetic energy cannot be ignored.

Also, can you please list the choices you have?

ok... will try that, meanwhile, these are my choices:

1. sqrt [ g*l*(12M+6m)/(3M+m) ]
2. sqrt [ 4*g*l ]
3. sqrt [ 5*g*l ]
4. sqrt [ g*l*(15M+6m)/(3M+m)

deep838 said:
ok... will try that, meanwhile, these are my choices:

1. sqrt [ g*l*(12M+6m)/(3M+m) ]
2. sqrt [ 4*g*l ]
3. sqrt [ 5*g*l ]
4. sqrt [ g*l*(15M+6m)/(3M+m)

Yes, the answer is an option on that list. It's either 1 or 4 because I've told you we can't cancel out the masses, now you just have to determine which it is.

doing as you said,
1/2 v^2(M+m/6) = Mg*2l + mg*l ... is the equation which gives v= sqrt [ g*l*(12M+6m)/(3M+m/2) ] which is close to option 1, but with (3M + m/2) in the denominator instead of (3M+ m).

Is there still something wrong?

deep838 said:
doing as you said,
1/2 v^2(M+m/6)

Shouldn't the rotational kinetic energy of the rod be ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{3})ml^2 \omega^2 = \frac{1}{6}mv^2##?

So total KE of bob and rod = ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{6}mv^2 = \frac{1}{6}(3M + m)v^2##.

Curious3141 said:
Shouldn't the rotational kinetic energy of the rod be ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{3})ml^2 \omega^2 = \frac{1}{6}mv^2##?

So total KE of bob and rod = ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{6}mv^2 = \frac{1}{6}(3M + m)v^2##.

Yeah, that's what I did, but made a simple calculation error! Option 1 is coming to be correct. Thanks for your time and help.

Related to Minimum velocity at bottom of pendulum

1. What is the minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum?

The minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum is the velocity required for the pendulum to complete a full swing without stopping or reversing direction. This velocity is dependent on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum calculated?

The minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the minimum velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum. This formula assumes that the pendulum starts from rest at the highest point of its swing.

3. What factors affect the minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum?

The minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, air resistance, and the mass of the pendulum. These factors can alter the amount of potential and kinetic energy present in the pendulum, thus affecting its minimum velocity.

4. Can the minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum cannot be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the pendulum loses energy due to friction and air resistance as it swings, so its velocity decreases over time. The minimum velocity at the bottom is the lowest velocity the pendulum can have without stopping or reversing direction.

5. How is the minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum important?

The minimum velocity at the bottom of a pendulum is important in understanding the motion and energy of pendulums. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of pendulum-based timekeeping devices like grandfather clocks. Additionally, the minimum velocity can be used to calculate the maximum angle of a pendulum's swing, which can affect the accuracy and stability of the pendulum's motion.