Minneapolis bridge collapse report

In summary, the preliminary report found that some of the gusset plates that failed on the I-35W bridge last year were only half the thickness of the rest and were called a design error.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The preliminary report is out on the bridge in Minneapolis that collapsed last year,
The BBC claims they found that some of the gusset plates that failed were only half the thickness of the rest and are calling it a design error.
Although they cannot find the original design so it's not clear if the thin plates were wrongly designed or the wrong plates were fitted.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can read the full report here:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/i35wbridge/pdfs/ntsb_design_adequacy_report.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I still wonder if it is a proper conclusion to call it a design flaw when the design stood the test of time. If anything I think it should still be called a failure to use the bridge within the design limitations.

I look forward to reading this report. Thanks for posting it.

I thought it was a bit unfair to call it a design fault if the bridge had worked perfectly for 40 years. Yes it was under-designed (or underbuilt) but it did quite well upto then.

In a separate letter, the NTSB recommended that bridge and structure designs be checked thoroughly when modifications are made to the structure, or if traffic operations change. Because of that, I'm wondering if they suspect this was the case on the I-35W, even though it wasn't mentioned in the report. But that's just pure speculation on my part.

The calculations don't support the gusset plate sizes, so what do you call it besides a design error? They were able to retrieve plans, and these showed the incorrect thicknesses, but they were unable to find the original calcs to back this up.

NTSB safety recommendation: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/i35wbridge/pdfs/ntsb_safety_recommendation.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing, Fred, & mgb. I was also surprised that they said corrosion played no role at all, after all the initial speculation and the previous condition report on the bridge.

Related to Minneapolis bridge collapse report

1. What was the cause of the Minneapolis bridge collapse?

The cause of the Minneapolis bridge collapse was determined to be a design flaw in the gusset plates, which are crucial components in the bridge's construction. The original design did not account for the weight of the bridge and the heavy load of construction equipment on the day of the collapse.

2. Were there any warning signs or red flags prior to the collapse?

Yes, there were several warning signs leading up to the collapse. The bridge had been classified as "structurally deficient" since 1990 and had undergone several inspections in the years leading up to the collapse, with some reports indicating corrosion and cracking in the gusset plates. However, these issues were not addressed in a timely manner.

3. Were there any casualties in the bridge collapse?

Yes, there were 13 fatalities and 145 injuries as a result of the bridge collapse. This tragedy also caused significant damage to the surrounding area and disrupted transportation in the city.

4. What steps were taken after the collapse to prevent future incidents?

After the collapse, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) conducted a thorough investigation and made several recommendations for improving bridge safety, including more frequent and thorough inspections, better communication between bridge owners and inspectors, and updated design standards. Many of these recommendations have been implemented to help prevent similar incidents in the future.

5. Has the bridge been rebuilt and is it now safe for use?

Yes, the Minneapolis bridge has been rebuilt and is now known as the Saint Anthony Falls Bridge. It was completed in 2008 and has been deemed safe for use by the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The new design includes additional safety features and regular inspections to ensure the bridge's structural integrity.