Mirror Sunglasses: How Do They Work?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, mirror sunglasses work by using a half-silvered mirror that reflects light from the brighter side (outside) while allowing some light to pass through from the darker side (inside). This creates the effect of only being able to see out, regardless of the lighting conditions. This is similar to a darkened room, where the room behind the mirror is darker than the room in front of it. To further enhance the effect, sandwiching a half-silvered mirror with a neutral density filter can create a stronger reflection on one side and a stronger transmission on the other.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
How do mirror sunglasses work? I used to think that they worked like "one way mirrors" but those are just half silvered glass - meaning that if you are standing in a bright room looking through it into a dark one you'll see your reflection but if you look from a dark room into a light room you can see through. But I noticed that with the mirrored sunglasses you can only see "out" no matter how the lighting is set up. So how do they work?
Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
They are as you say exactly like a darkened room. Rememebr that the 'room' behind them (between them and your eyes) is always likely to be darker than the room in front on them.

Yes, but even when I take the glasses off and hold them a few meters a way from me I can only see in one direction. How can that be?

What would happen if you sandwiched a half-silvered mirror against a neutral density filter?

From one side you would see a half-reflection which swamps a half-transmitted plus attenuated image. From the other side you would see a once-attenuated half-transmission superimposed on a twice-attenuated half-reflection. I don't know the construction of your particular sunglasses, but this would be a way of obtaining the effect you describe.

Thanks a lot, Froggie. I've been planning my supper for the past 2 hours, and your last post made me so dizzy that I can't eat.

Related to Mirror Sunglasses: How Do They Work?

1. How do mirror sunglasses reduce glare?

Mirror sunglasses have a reflective coating on the outside of the lenses that helps to reflect light away from your eyes. This reduces the amount of light that enters your eyes and causes glare, making it easier to see in bright conditions.

2. Are mirror sunglasses polarized?

Not all mirror sunglasses are polarized, but some may have a polarized coating in addition to the reflective coating. Polarized sunglasses reduce glare by blocking horizontal light waves that cause reflections. This can further enhance the effectiveness of mirror sunglasses in reducing glare.

3. Are mirror sunglasses good for outdoor activities?

Yes, mirror sunglasses are great for outdoor activities as they can reduce glare and provide protection from harmful UV rays. They are especially useful for activities like skiing, snowboarding, and water sports where there is a lot of reflected light.

4. Do mirror sunglasses work the same in all lighting conditions?

The effectiveness of mirror sunglasses may vary depending on the lighting conditions. In bright, sunny conditions, they can greatly reduce glare and improve visibility. However, in low light conditions, such as indoors or on a cloudy day, the reflective coating may not be as effective.

5. How do I clean mirror sunglasses?

Mirror sunglasses should be cleaned with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner specifically designed for eyewear. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials as they can damage the reflective coating. It's also important to store mirror sunglasses in a protective case when not in use to prevent scratches on the lenses.