Miscellaneous questions on operators

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses various definitions and relationships involving operators in mathematics and quantum mechanics. These include the inverse, commutator, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, and the adjoint (or hermitian conjugate) of an operator. The second definition mentioned is a special case of the first, and the definition of transpose may vary depending on the context and space being considered. A course in Functional Analysis would provide a more rigorous treatment of these concepts.
spaghetti3451
Hey guys, I am wondering if the following relationships hold for all operators A, regardless of whether they are linear or non-linear.

A-1A = AA-1 = I

[A,B] = AB - BA

A|an> = λn|an>, where n ranges from 1 to N, and N is the dimension of the vector space which has an orthogonal basis |an>.

Just one other question. Which is the more general definition of the adjoint (hermitian conjugate) A† of an operator A: (v, Au) = (A†v, u) or A† = (A*)T?

I think it's the first one. The second one is a special case of the first which is valid if the vectors v and u are matrices. Your thoughts?

Let's see if you can make a dumbass like me learn some maths!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first is def'n of inverse, which doesn't always exist.

The second is definition of commutator over the ring of operators.

The third is definition of eigenvalue and eigenfunction, and an assumption that there is a finite eigenbasis of the space. Note it is possible for some of the eigenvalues to be identical.

The fourth, your first expression is def'n of adjoint (the other of a mirrored pair, mirrored to other side of the inner product). But to say it's the transpose, you have to clarify the def'n of transpose. If A is a matrix, you're probably fine. If it's not, and say for example it's the derivative operator, then what do you mean by transpose. Also, if you're space is not flat, in other words, if there is some nontrivial metric, then the adjoint may get more complicated. See for example

wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpose#Transpose_of_linear_maps

and the issue of a metric tensor.

A course in Functional Analysis would treat most of this quantum mechanical material with some rigor.

Related to Miscellaneous questions on operators

1. What are operators in programming?

Operators in programming are symbols or keywords that perform an action on one or more operands to produce a result. They are used to manipulate data and perform calculations in a program.

2. What are the different types of operators?

There are several types of operators, including arithmetic, assignment, comparison, logical, and bitwise operators. Arithmetic operators perform mathematical calculations, assignment operators assign values to variables, comparison operators compare values, logical operators evaluate logical expressions, and bitwise operators perform operations on binary data.

3. What is the order of precedence for operators?

The order of precedence for operators determines the order in which they are evaluated in an expression. In general, arithmetic operators have higher precedence than comparison operators, which have higher precedence than logical operators. However, parentheses can be used to override the default precedence and control the order of evaluation.

4. Can I create my own custom operators?

In some programming languages, it is possible to define custom operators. This is usually done using operator overloading, which allows existing operators to be redefined for custom types. However, it is important to use caution when creating custom operators as it can make code less readable and maintainable.

5. How do operators differ in different programming languages?

While most programming languages have a similar set of basic operators, there may be slight differences in syntax and functionality. Some languages may have additional operators for specific purposes, while others may not support certain types of operators. It is important to familiarize yourself with the specific operators used in the language you are working with.