Missing Matter Problem and Galactic Flows

• Thread starter Michael Faraday
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary: Gravity, in the Newtonian approximation (which is good enough for the orbits of most stars in our galaxy), is a force that conserves energy.A close pass between our Sun and another star might transfer some energy between the two stars, but stars rarely pass that close to one another.For the most part, the...
Bandersnatch said:
-10 km/s radial velocity in the galactocentric coordinates is not the same as falling in or spiralling in. Every elliptical orbit will have a radial component everywhere apart from peri- and apoapsis.
Furthermore, it tells you nothing about the kinematics of the galaxy as a whole - you need to compare it with velocities of other stars. It's the bulk motion that defines the galactic structure. The Sun has got -10 km/s radial velocity, other stars have different velocities, including in the opposite direction.
Please tell me how you know it's an elliptical orbit and not a spiral. This has been my question from the start.

Space news on Phys.org
Michael Faraday said:
The assumption of missing mass is based on Kepler's 3rd law which requires a closed orbit (and a constant amount of mass inside the closed orbit).

Yes, but a closed elliptical orbit can still have a nonzero radial velocity.

Michael Faraday said:
Please tell me how you know it's an elliptical orbit and not a spiral.

You ought to be able to answer this yourself using the numbers in the abstract of the paper you linked to. Just check to see if those numbers are consistent with a closed elliptical orbit.

Michael Faraday said:
The figure quoted in the article, 10 km/s, if true and an average mean, means that in 1 billion years ago we were 10 kpc. further out than we are now. In about 850 million years we will have fallen into the black hole in the center of the galaxy.

Where did you get this idea?

That word, spiral, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Let's see...

Spiral: a curve which emanates from a central point, getting progressively farther away as it revolves around the point.

Yeah, that's exactly how I'm using it.

PeterDonis said:
You ought to be able to answer this yourself using the numbers in the abstract of the paper you linked to. Just check to see if those numbers are consistent with a closed elliptical orbit.
No, you can't. I can't believe I have to explain this. The report I references is a kinematic study. It makes no assumptions about the past or future. It simply says, as of right now, this is the measured flow of the Local Standard of Rest (LSR). So, again, I ask you, how do you know that our sun is in an elliptical orbit?

Drakkith said:
Spiral: a curve which emanates from a central point, getting progressively farther away as it revolves around the point.
Winding in a continuous and gradually widening (or tightening) curve, either around a central point on a flat plane or about an axis so as to form a cone.

Yeah, this is getting nowhere. If you can't see that a radial velocity of -10 km/s results in the complete decomposition of the sun's orbit in 850 million years then you are using either a different language or different math than I'm using, so there's no point in continuing this conversation.

Michael Faraday said:
No, you can't. I can't believe I have to explain this. The report I references is a kinematic study. It makes no assumptions about the past or future. It simply says, as of right now, this is the measured flow of the Local Standard of Rest (LSR). So, again, I ask you, how do you know that our sun is in an elliptical orbit?

We apply known physical laws regarding gravitation to a model and see what the results are. So far, those results have supported that that Sun is in an elliptical orbit around the center of the galaxy. As I already explained, kinematic data by itself is of limited value without an appropriate model.

Michael Faraday said:
If you can't see that a radial velocity of -10 km/s results in the complete decomposition of the sun's orbit in 850 million years then you are using either a different language or different math than I'm using, so there's no point in continuing this conversation.

Except that you're wrong. That's not how orbital mechanics works. Any object in a non-circular orbit will have nonzero radial velocity throughout most or all of the orbit, as has been explained already.

You are right about one thing. This is getting nowhere. You've asked us questions and then when our answers don't make sense to you, you berate us for not giving you the answers you wanted when you haven't made an actual effort to understand what we've told you. You should consider that the answers given may not have been the answers you wanted, but the answers you needed. Thread locked.

Likes PeterDonis