MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW)

In summary, the MIT Physics Challenge Problems are something they expect you to be able to handle on your own, but there are some that might require external help. The K&K problems are something you would typically be required to do on your own, but 8.012 is optional.
Ascendant78
MIT Physics "Challenge Problems" (OCW)

I had a question for anyone who is familiar with MIT and their OCW. I like to use their content to compliment my studies, but I feel some of their challenge problems are quite difficult. I am curious, are those challenge problems something they expect you to be able to handle on your own? I don't know how their work is typically assigned and if this is material they might typically have during recitations, in class as groups (reversed classroom), or something along those lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
The challenge problems tend to come from books like Kleppner and Kolenkow or problems from the honors version of the class (the two overlap anyways). I don't know how it works at MIT, although I doubt it's any different, but office hours are usually the "go to" place if you're stuck on homework problems at most universities. You aren't necessarily expected to solve the problem sets with absolutely no help whatsoever (take-home exams are a different story of course); chances are you'll be assigned a problem you can't figure out on your own, it's nothing unusual. Again office hours and getting help from classmates are the norms at most universities. That being said, there are quite a few problems in K&K that you can certainly solve on your own with no help. There are also quite a few for which external help might prove necessary. I definitely wouldn't have been able to solve some of the rotational motion problems in K&K on my own when I first used the book-I got help from others.

Likes 1 person
Yes, an MIT student would be expected to handle these. Maybe not instantly, but with some work.

Likes 1 person
Ok, thanks for the feedback. As far as doing them with some work, I usually can, though it is oftentimes very time-consuming. If I didn't have the assignments from my own courses on top of it, I would definitely be working on more of them.

The K&K problems weren't challenge problems in 8.012 just a regularly assigned pset.

K&K tends to be the optional track in colleges

FAQ: MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW)

1. What is the MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW)?

The MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW) is an online course offered by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) that provides challenging and thought-provoking problems for students to solve in the field of physics. It is available for free through the OpenCourseWare (OCW) platform.

2. Who can benefit from the MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW)?

The MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW) is designed for students who have a strong interest and aptitude in physics and want to challenge themselves with more advanced problems. It is also suitable for educators looking to supplement their teaching materials with additional challenging problems.

3. Are there any prerequisites for the MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW)?

The MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW) assumes a strong background in physics, including knowledge of calculus, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is recommended that students have completed introductory physics courses before attempting the challenge problems.

4. How are the MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW) structured?

The MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW) is divided into six categories: Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Waves and Optics, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics, and Mathematical Methods. Each category contains a set of challenging problems with varying levels of difficulty.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the MIT Physics Challenge Problems (OCW)?

Yes, there are several resources available, including solutions and video lectures by MIT professors. Additionally, students can join online discussion forums to collaborate with others and get help with solving the problems. These resources can be found on the OCW website for the MIT Physics Challenge Problems.