MIT problem set problem, I have problems with the solutions

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit Set
In summary: It depends on the side of surface. Inside the material its 0, just outside ... follow formula used in (a), inside its 0 again.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Wow that was three problems in my title. Anyways please go to this link

http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/course/8/8.02-esg/Spring03/www/8.02pset2sol3.pdf

and go to problem 4: 24.28

I have a question to the solutions

a) They constructed a bigger cylinder for their Gaussian surface. Now my question is, is the thin cylindrical shell itself a charge and that is why we must construct our own surface?

What happens if the [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] field is 36kN/C at 7.00cm?

b) Why is it 0? Why can't you just replace 19cm with 4.00cm?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
a) They constructed a bigger cylinder for their Gaussian surface. Now my question is, is the thin cylindrical shell itself a charge and that is why we must construct our own surface?
I can't understand what are you asking

flyingpig said:
What happens if the [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] field is 36kN/C at 7.00cm?
It depends on the side of surface. Inside the material its 0, just outside ... follow formula used in (a), inside its 0 again

flyingpig said:
b) Why is it 0? Why can't you just replace 19cm with 4.00cm?

Because according to gauss law, flux or even E is directly disproportional to charge in-closed by the surface.

cupid.callin said:
I can't understand what are you asking

Does it matter if it is even a thin cylindrical shell? Can it be a solid?

It depends on the side of surface. Inside the material its 0, just outside ... follow formula used in (a), inside its 0 again

Yes, I plug in 4, I get a number

Because according to gauss law, flux or even E is directly disproportional to charge in-closed by the surface.

But it doesn't mean it can't right?

flyingpig said:
Does it matter if it is even a thin cylindrical shell? Can it be a solid?

No, even if its solid, you need to use a Gaussian surface ... Gaussian surface i just a hypothetical surface ... it may even coincide with your cylinder's outer surface!

flyingpig said:
Yes, I plug in 4, I get a number
You can use a formula made for 1 thing for something else but it will give a wrong result. same is happening with you!

flyingpig said:
But it doesn't mean it can't right?
No there can't be any field ... you know that charges on conductor resides on surfaces ...most probably on outer to reduce its potential energy
so draw the figure of cylindrical shell we're talking about ... draw charge on outer surface ... and you see there is no charge inside to provide electric field! the outer charge provides field to outer area. This concept in electrostatic shielding

[tex](3.60x10^4) = \frac{2(8.99x10^9)\frac{Q}{2.4}}{4.00cm}[/tex]

I don't understand

Can someone please help me!

Wait, is it because the radial E-field outside the surface of the shell?

Look at the pic
If charge is + or -, E will be outside the area,
you think there will be field inside too. can you tell me why?

Attachments

• Charge.png
    Charge.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 506

Related to MIT problem set problem, I have problems with the solutions

1. What is a MIT problem set problem?

A MIT problem set problem is a problem or set of problems given to students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) as part of their coursework. These problems are typically designed to challenge students' understanding and application of concepts in various fields of study.

2. How do I approach a MIT problem set problem?

When approaching a MIT problem set problem, it is important to carefully read the problem and understand the given information. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use your knowledge and problem-solving skills to come up with a solution. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from classmates or instructors.

3. What should I do if I am having trouble with the solutions to a MIT problem set problem?

If you are having trouble with the solutions to a MIT problem set problem, try reviewing your notes or textbook for related concepts. You can also ask for help from classmates or seek assistance from your instructor. Working through the problem step by step and seeking additional resources can often help clarify any confusion.

4. How can I improve my performance on MIT problem set problems?

To improve your performance on MIT problem set problems, it is important to regularly attend class and actively engage in the material. Practice solving problems and seek help when needed. Additionally, developing strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills can greatly aid in solving MIT problem set problems.

5. Is it okay to work with others on MIT problem set problems?

Working with others on MIT problem set problems can be beneficial as it allows for collaboration and the sharing of ideas. However, it is important to make sure that each person is contributing equally and that the work you submit is your own. It is also important to follow any guidelines or instructions given by your instructor regarding collaboration on problem sets.