Mix/max of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x)

• Thread starter bcahmel
  • Start date
In summary, to find the min and max of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) on the interval [0,2pi], we first took the derivative and set it to 0. This gave us critical points of x=pi, 2pi, 0, and -0.6184. After plugging these values into the equation, we found that the max is -1 and the min is -0.8587. We also looked at values of cos(x)=0, sin(x)=0, and sin(x)=-2/3 to find additional critical points, with a final result of the max being 1 and the min being -1.
bcahmel

Homework Statement

Find the min and max of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) on the interval [0,2pi]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took the derivative, which is 3sin^2(x)cos(x) + 2cos(x)sin(x)
Then I set it to 0 and factored to get the crit pts:
0=(cosxsinx)(3sinx+2)

so cosx=0, sinx=0, and 3sinx+2=0
so x=pi, 2pi, 0, and -0.6184

And plugging these values into get the y's I got: -1,-1,-1,-0.8587

So is the max -1 and mix -0.8587? I think I messed up somewhere. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
For what values is cos(x)=0 (there are 2 values of x in [0,2pi])
For what values is sin(x)=0 (there are 3 values of x in [0,2pi])
For what values is sin(x)=-2/3 (there are 2 values of x in [0,2pi])

Find where cosx =0,sinx=0 and sinx=-2/3 as mentioned above

Then put these in equation sin^3(x) - cos^2x as you want the max,min of the equation not cos and sin

Chose the two appropriate values

Question Solved

Anmol

So...
cosx=0 at pi/2, 3pi/2
sinx=0 at 0, pi, 2pi
sinx=-2/3 at -0.7297, ahh I forget trig,how do you get the second value?

Think of the following formula:

[tex]\sin(\pi-\alpha)=\sin(\alpha)[/tex]

so sin(pi+0.7297) =3.8712??

I guess for the min I got -1 and the max I had 1. Is this right?

Yes, so your two solutions of [tex]\sin(x)=-3/2[/tex] are correct:

[tex]x=3.8712~\text{and}~x=-0.7297[/tex]

I have only one stupid remark. The last value is not in [0,2pi], and we do want values in that interval...

bcahmel said:
I guess for the min I got -1 and the max I had 1. Is this right?

This is correct!

ok, thank you so much! You really helped! The answer should have been obvious I guess- since sin and cos both have max and min of 1 and -1 anyway for their range.

FAQ: Mix/max of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x)

1. What is the maximum value of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x)?

The maximum value of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) is 1. This occurs when sin(x) = 1 and cos(x) = 0, resulting in sin^3(x) = 1 and cos^2(x) = 0.

2. What is the minimum value of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x)?

The minimum value of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) is -1. This occurs when sin(x) = -1 and cos(x) = 0, resulting in sin^3(x) = -1 and cos^2(x) = 0.

3. Are there any other critical points for sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) besides the maximum and minimum values?

Yes, there are other critical points for sin^3(x) - cos^2(x). These occur when sin(x) = 0 and cos(x) = 1, resulting in sin^3(x) = 0 and cos^2(x) = 1. These points are neither maximum nor minimum values, but they are points of inflection for the function.

4. What is the period of the function sin^3(x) - cos^2(x)?

The period of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) is 2π, since both sin(x) and cos(x) have a period of 2π. This means that the function repeats itself every 2π units along the x-axis.

5. Can the value of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) ever be greater than 1 or less than -1?

No, the value of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) can never be greater than 1 or less than -1. This is because sin^3(x) and cos^2(x) individually have a maximum value of 1 and a minimum value of -1. Thus, the maximum and minimum values of sin^3(x) - cos^2(x) can only range between 1 and -1.

Back