Mixing Solutions: Problems & Solutions Explained

• Thread starter TheLaughingMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with mixing solution problems and understanding the concept of rate in and rate out. They are then given an example problem to help them understand how to set up and solve the problem.
TheLaughingMan
Can anyone help me out with mixing solution problems, I know its not that hard I just am having trouble understanding what to do. Sometimes its X sometimes its X/volume of the tank. Can anyone explain it to me in a simple way?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you give us a sample problem maybe we could help break it donw for you?

john_in_pdx said:
If you give us a sample problem maybe we could help break it donw for you?
Sample:
A swimming pool whose volume is 10,000 gal contains water that is .01% chlorine. Starting at t=0, city water containing .001% Cl is pumped in at 5 gal/min. The pool water flows out at the same rate. What is the % of chlorine in the pool after 1 hr? When will the pool be .002% Cl ?

Can you post an attempt?, it'll figure out what you are not understanding.

it seems you don't know how to set up the prob. you need to find y(60).
to do this you let y(t)=the amount of cl in the pool at time t. you need to find an expression for dy/dt.

dy/dt = rate in - rate out

rate in =5 gal / min * .001%

rate out = y(t) / 10000 * 5 gal / min

so dy /dt = (5 gal/min * .001%) - (y(t) / 10000 * 5 gal/ min)

you then find the I.F. and intergrate

FAQ: Mixing Solutions: Problems & Solutions Explained

1. What is the purpose of mixing solutions?

Mixing solutions is a common practice in chemistry and other scientific fields. The purpose of mixing solutions is to create a uniform mixture by combining two or more substances in a specific ratio. This is done to achieve a desired concentration, produce a chemical reaction, or create a new solution with unique properties.

2. What are some common problems encountered when mixing solutions?

Some common problems encountered when mixing solutions include inadequate mixing, inaccurate measurements, and incomplete dissolution. Inadequate mixing can result in an uneven distribution of substances, while inaccurate measurements can lead to a solution that is either too weak or too strong. Incomplete dissolution can occur when a substance does not fully dissolve in the solvent, resulting in a solution with particles or sediment.

3. How can I ensure proper mixing of solutions?

To ensure proper mixing of solutions, it is important to carefully measure and add the substances in the correct ratio, and to use a suitable mixing method. This can include stirring, shaking, or using a mechanical mixer. It is also helpful to monitor the solution and continue mixing until it appears uniform and all substances are fully dissolved.

4. What can I do if my solution is not reaching the desired concentration?

If your solution is not reaching the desired concentration, there are a few steps you can take. First, check your measurements and make sure they are accurate. You can also try increasing the amount of solvent or adjusting the ratio of substances. If these steps do not work, it may be necessary to start the mixing process again with fresh substances.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when mixing solutions?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when mixing solutions. Always wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area. Be cautious when handling strong acids or bases, as they can cause burns or other injuries. It is also important to properly label all substances and solutions, and to dispose of them according to proper protocols.

Back